Solutions of the free one-particle Klein Gordon equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
silverwhale
Messages
78
Reaction score
2
In the book "Wachter, relativistic quantum mechanics", in page 5, the KG eq. is introduced as follows:

[tex]-\hbar^2 \frac{\partial^2 \phi(x)}{\partial t^2} = (-c^2 \hbar^2 \nabla^2 + m^2_0 c^4) \phi(x).[/tex]

Now I tried to solve this equation using the separation ansatz (product ansatz).
I get:

[tex]\phi (ct) = exp [\pm \frac{ i p_0 ct}{\hbar} ],[/tex]
and
[tex]\psi (x) = exp[\pm \frac{i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}{\hbar}].[/tex]
Where the usual relativistic four-momentum conservation equation holds.
Now, this amounts to four combinations of solutions. But in the book, only two are written, namely:

[tex]\phi^{(1)}_p= e^{-i (c p_0 t - \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x})/ \hbar},[/tex]

[tex]\phi^{(2)}_p= e^{+i (c p_0 t - \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x})/ \hbar}.[/tex]

I really, really want to solve the equation; I feel a little bit frustrated because I don't get only the two solutions. Basically I am halfway there but I don't know what to do next.

So any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The other two solutions you are missing are the complex conjugates of the ones you have written down. So the full set of solutions is: \phi^{(1)}_p= e^{-i (c p_0 t - \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x})/ \hbar},\phi^{(2)}_p= e^{+i (c p_0 t - \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x})/ \hbar},\phi^{(3)}_p= e^{-i (c p_0 t + \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x})/ \hbar},\phi^{(4)}_p= e^{+i (c p_0 t + \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x})/ \hbar}.