• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Solutions of the Schrodinger equation for hydrogen

• Thread starter atarr3
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
Consider an electron in the hydrogen atom with radial wave function [tex]R_{31}[/tex] (n=3, l=1). Please verify that this radial function verifies the radial equation.

2. Homework Equations
The radial equation

[tex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/tex][tex]\frac{d}{dr}[/tex][tex]\left(r^{2}\frac{dR}{dr}\right)[/tex] + [tex]\frac{2\mu}{h^{2}}[/tex][tex]\left[E-V-\frac{h^{2}}{2\mu}\frac{l\left(l+1\right)}{r^{2}}\right][/tex]R = 0

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I found the corresponding solution for the given radial wave funtion, and I think I'm supposed to set that equal to A, some constant, times [tex]e^{\frac{-r}{3a_{0}}}[/tex]
and then plug that into the original radial wave function? I'm not really sure of what I'm supposed to do here.

Last edited:
Oh and those h's are supposed to be h bars. I don't know how to do that in latex.

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Just use the equation for [itex]R_{31}[/itex] that is in your text/notes, and substitute it into the Differential equation...

P.S. To write [itex]\hbar[/itex] in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], just use \hbar

You mean like an equation like this?

[tex]\frac{1}{a_{0}^{3/2}}\frac{4}{81\sqrt{6}}\left(6-\frac{r}{a_{0}}\right)\frac{r}{a_{0}}e^{-r/3a_{0}}[/tex]

I tried using that and plugging it into the radial equation, but it gets really messy and I'm not sure if I know how to simplify it. I also don't know what to do with the V and E quantities.

And I assumed that the stuff not depending on R was equal to some constant A to help make it easier... would that screw my answer up?

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
Gold Member
You mean like an equation like this?

[tex]\frac{1}{a_{0}^{3/2}}\frac{4}{81\sqrt{6}}\left(6-\frac{r}{a_{0}}\right)\frac{r}{a_{0}}e^{-r/3a_{0}}[/tex]
Yup.

I tried using that and plugging it into the radial equation, but it gets really messy and I'm not sure if I know how to simplify it. I also don't know what to do with the V and E quantities.
[itex]V[/itex] is just the Coulomb potential, and if the electron is in the [itex]n=3[/itex] state, shouldn't [itex]E[/itex] be [itex]E_3[/itex] (which you should have an equation for)?

Ok so [tex]V =\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{-e^{2}}{r}[/tex] and E is just [tex]\frac{-E_{0}}{n^{2}}[/tex]? And that will all cancel out if I plug everything in?

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yup.

Wow. Ok. Thank you so much! You've saved me a great deal of work.

Also, try finding [tex] \frac {2\mu V}{\hbar ^2} [/tex] and [tex] \frac {2\mu E_n}{\hbar^2}[/tex] in terms of [itex]a_0[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex]. It might make it easier.

Just to verify that this is correct, I'm getting [tex]\frac{2\mu V}{\hbar^{2}}=\frac{-2}{a_{0}r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{2\mu E}{\hbar^{2}}=\frac{-1}{9a_{0}^{2}}[/tex] I'm getting almost everything to cancel out, but not quite everything. There might be an error in my derivatives.

Ok I just got the answer. Thank you all so much for your help!