Solve a differential equation sytem. Eulers method

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of equations using Euler's method or elimination method. The equations given are dx/dt=x+y and dy/dt=-y+8x, and the solution is sought in the form of y=const*exp[kx] and z=const2*exp[kx]. However, there is uncertainty about whether x=const*exp[kx] can be used because of the presence of x in the exponential. It is suggested to try x=const*exp[kt] and y=const2*exp[kt] as a first step.
prehisto

Homework Statement

dx/dt=x+y
dy/dt=-y+8x
Solve this system useing Eulers method or by elimination method.

Homework Equations

Eulers method
I know that in general I should look for solution in form
y=const*exp[kx]
z=const2*exp[kx]
But in my case I am not sure if i can write x=const*exp[kx],because of x in exp.
Could someone help me please, maybe show me some first steps ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
prehisto said:

Homework Statement

dx/dt=x+y
dy/dt=-y+8x
Solve this system useing Eulers method or by elimination method.

Homework Equations

Eulers method
I know that in general I should look for solution in form
y=const*exp[kx]
z=const2*exp[kx]
But in my case I am not sure if i can write x=const*exp[kx],because of x in exp.
Could someone help me please, maybe show me some first steps ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi prehisto! :smile:

Perhaps you can try:
x=const*exp[kt]
y=const2*exp[kt]

Likes 1 person

1. What is a differential equation system?

A differential equation system is a set of equations that relate the rates of change of one or more dependent variables to the values of one or more independent variables. It is commonly used to model physical and biological systems.

2. What is Euler's method?

Euler's method is a numerical method used to approximate solutions to ordinary differential equations. It is a first-order method that involves dividing the interval of the independent variable into smaller intervals and using the slope of the tangent line at each point to estimate the value of the dependent variable at the next point.

3. How does Euler's method work?

To use Euler's method, you need to specify an initial value for the dependent variable and a step size. The method then calculates the slope of the tangent line at that point and uses it to estimate the value of the dependent variable at the next point. This process is repeated until the desired number of points is reached.

4. What are the advantages of using Euler's method?

Euler's method is a simple and straightforward method for approximating solutions to differential equations. It does not require advanced mathematical knowledge and can be easily implemented using a computer program. It is also useful for solving nonlinear differential equation systems.

5. What are the limitations of Euler's method?

Euler's method is a first-order method, which means that the error in the approximation can accumulate over time. This can lead to inaccurate results, particularly for complex or highly nonlinear systems. Additionally, the step size used in Euler's method can greatly impact the accuracy of the approximation, making it important to choose an appropriate step size for the specific problem.