Solve Algebra Word Problem: Bobbie Has $1.54 in Coins

In summary, Bobbie has a total of $1.54 in quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. He has twice as many dimes as quarters and three times as many dimes as nickels. The number of pennies is the same as the number of dimes. This can be simplified to 0.50q = 0.15n, and the equations q = d / 0.50 and n = d / 0.15 can be used to find the number of each coin.
daigo
Bobbie has $1.54 in quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. He has twice as many dimes as quarters and three times as many dimes as nickels. The number of pennies is the same as the number of dimes. How many of each coin does he have?

Okay, so this is what I have:

Total:
0.25q + 0.10d + 0.05n + 0.01p = 1.54

What I got from the word problem:
p = d
.25q * 2 = d
.05n * 3 = d

Simplified:
p = d
.50q = d
.15n = d

So this would mean:
.50q = .15n
Because both variable 'd' are the same value

So:

q = d / .50
n = d / .15

I can't seem to plug in anything for anything because I keep ending up with two or more variables in a single linear equation. How would I go about doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi daigo! :smile:
daigo said:
What I got from the word problem:
p = d
.25q * 2 = d
.05n * 3 = d

no, q and n are numbers of coins, not values :wink:

Oh, thanks. I got it now. How embarassing...

What is the algebraic equation to solve the word problem?

The equation is: 0.01x + 0.05y + 0.10z = 1.54, where x is the number of pennies, y is the number of nickels, and z is the number of dimes.

How do I set up the equation using the given information?

Since we know that Bobbie has a total of $1.54 in coins, we can set up the equation as 0.01x + 0.05y + 0.10z = 1.54. We also know that the total number of coins is 100 (x + y + z = 100).

How do I solve the algebraic equation?

We can use the substitution method to solve the equation. First, we can solve for one variable (e.g. z) in terms of the other two variables (x and y). Then, we can substitute the value of z into the original equation and solve for the remaining two variables. Finally, we can plug in the values of x and y into the total number of coins equation to find the number of each type of coin.

How do I check my solution?

To check your solution, you can plug in the values for x, y, and z into the original equation. If the equation is true, then your solution is correct. You can also check by adding up the total value of each type of coin (e.g. 0.01x + 0.05y + 0.10z) and making sure it equals $1.54.

What is the final answer to the word problem?

After solving the algebraic equation, the final answer is: Bobbie has 44 pennies, 10 nickels, and 46 dimes in her coin collection.