Integer Solutions to Linear Systems

In summary, the person was trying to solve a system of equations using augmented matrix but couldn't find the third equation. They tried substituting different values for p but it didn't work. They eventually solved the equations for d and n and found a unique solution for p = 4. If p is 9, there will be a different number of dimes and nickles in the solution.
s2huang

Homework Statement

We were asked to solve it using Augmented matrix. I just need one more equation though.
A jar of coins contains only dimes, nickels, and pennies. There are 98 coins in the jar, and the total value of the coins is $6.49.
Set up the system of equations representing this system, in the variables d, n, and p.

Homework Equations

1 dime = 10 cents
1 nickel = 5 cents
1 penny = 1 cent

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up two equations:
d+n+p = 98
10d + 5n + p = 649

but I can't find the third equation.

p is a free variable.
the 9 in 649 is the clue i think because only nickels and pennies can add up to 9
and there are two possible ways:
1 nickel + 4 pennies, OR
9 pennies
So d and n depend on p but I don't know how to express it in an equation.

I tried 5n+p=9 but it didn't work.
I tried to substitute 5n=9-p for n, but then it's not linear algebra and the answer was not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
s2huang said:

Homework Statement

We were asked to solve it using Augmented matrix. I just need one more equation though.
A jar of coins contains only dimes, nickels, and pennies. There are 98 coins in the jar, and the total value of the coins is $6.49.
Set up the system of equations representing this system, in the variables d, n, and p.

Homework Equations

1 dime = 10 cents
1 nickel = 5 cents
1 penny = 1 cent

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up two equations:
d+n+p = 98
10d + 5n + p = 649

but I can't find the third equation.

p is a free variable.
the 9 in 649 is the clue i think because only nickels and pennies can add up to 9
and there are two possible ways:
1 nickel + 4 pennies, OR
9 pennies
So d and n depend on p but I don't know how to express it in an equation.

I tried 5n+p=9 but it didn't work.
I tried to substitute 5n=9-p for n, but then it's not linear algebra and the answer was not correct.

You could also have 14 or 19 or in general ? pennies. You could express that as a formula.
Don't worry you don't always have to express everything as a formula.
Although you can't eliminate from the equations in the ordinary way to reduce it to one unknown, you can reduce it to two unknowns - in different ways but try the simplest first. You can then try the same sort of logic - properties of whole numbers and divisibility etc.
It is not guranteed that there is a unique solution.

Thank you. I think I salved it!
It should be two equations:
x+y+z=98
10x+5y+z=649

From the Augmented Matrix I got:
y=331/5 - 9/5(z)
x=31.8+0.8z

We just pretend that z is a constant ie. a free variable.

If you set p = 4, 9, whatever, then you must adjust the two equations accordingly.
For instance, ifyou assume p = 4, then the equations become:

d + n = 94
10d + 5n = 645

you can then solve for d and n and get a unique solution for p = 4.
If p is assumed to be 9, then there will be a different number of dimes and nickles.

The solutions to d,n,p only have meaning if each is an integer. In order to satisfy the total amount of the change, p is restricted in which values it can assume, i.e., 4, 9, 14, etc. You can't have 0.8 of a dime.

1. What are integer solutions to linear systems?

Integer solutions to linear systems refer to a set of values for the variables in a system of linear equations that results in whole number solutions. These solutions are often referred to as "integer solutions" or "integral solutions."

2. How are integer solutions to linear systems found?

Integer solutions to linear systems can be found by using various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate the variables and solve for their integer values.

3. Can there be multiple integer solutions to a linear system?

Yes, a linear system can have one or more integer solutions. In fact, there can be an infinite number of integer solutions for some systems. This is because there may be multiple combinations of values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

4. What are the advantages of finding integer solutions to linear systems?

Finding integer solutions to linear systems can be useful in real-world applications, as whole numbers are often easier to work with and understand than fractions or decimals. Additionally, integer solutions can provide insights into patterns and relationships within the equations and help to identify special cases.

5. Are there any limitations to using integer solutions to linear systems?

Yes, there are limitations to using integer solutions to linear systems. Some systems may not have any integer solutions, and some may have an infinite number of solutions, making it difficult to determine which values are the most applicable. Additionally, integer solutions may not accurately represent real-world situations where non-integer values are more appropriate.