1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integer Solutions to Linear Systems

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We were asked to solve it using Augmented matrix. I just need one more equation though.
    A jar of coins contains only dimes, nickels, and pennies. There are 98 coins in the jar, and the total value of the coins is $6.49.
    Set up the system of equations representing this system, in the variables d, n, and p.

2. Relevant equations
    1 dime = 10 cents
    1 nickel = 5 cents
    1 penny = 1 cent

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set up two equations:
    d+n+p = 98
    10d + 5n + p = 649

but I can't find the third equation.

p is a free variable.
    the 9 in 649 is the clue i think because only nickels and pennies can add up to 9
    and there are two possible ways:
    1 nickel + 4 pennies, OR
    9 pennies
    So d and n depend on p but I don't know how to express it in an equation.

I tried 5n+p=9 but it didn't work.
    I tried to substitute 5n=9-p for n, but then it's not linear algebra and the answer was not correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2013 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could also have 14 or 19 or in general ? pennies. You could express that as a formula.
    Don't worry you don't always have to express everything as a formula.
    Although you can't eliminate from the equations in the ordinary way to reduce it to one unknown, you can reduce it to two unknowns - in different ways but try the simplest first. You can then try the same sort of logic - properties of whole numbers and divisibility etc.
    It is not guranteed that there is a unique solution.

4. Mar 17, 2013 #3
    Thank you. I think I salved it!
    It should be two equations:
    x+y+z=98
    10x+5y+z=649

From the Augmented Matrix I got:
    y=331/5 - 9/5(z)
    x=31.8+0.8z

We just pretend that z is a constant ie. a free variable.

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you set p = 4, 9, whatever, then you must adjust the two equations accordingly.
    For instance, ifyou assume p = 4, then the equations become:

d + n = 94
    10d + 5n = 645

you can then solve for d and n and get a unique solution for p = 4.
    If p is assumed to be 9, then there will be a different number of dimes and nickles.

The solutions to d,n,p only have meaning if each is an integer. In order to satisfy the total amount of the change, p is restricted in which values it can assume, i.e., 4, 9, 14, etc. You can't have 0.8 of a dime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted