Solve for the Velocity and Direction of Mass 2m After Collision | Physics Help

• Thread starter help444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves a collision between two masses, one of mass m traveling at a velocity v and the other of mass 2m at rest. After the collision, the first mass is deflected through 45 degrees and has a final velocity of v/2. The goal is to find the velocity and direction of the second mass after the collision using the equations for conservation of momentum. The problem can be solved by setting up two equations with two unknowns and solving for one unknown to find the final velocity of the second mass.
Physics Help! Pleaase

Homework Statement

A mass, m, traveling at a speed v, strikes another mass = 2m at rest. After the collision, the first mass, m, is delfected through 45 degrees and has a final speed of v/2.
Find the speed and Direction of the mass 2m after this collision.

Homework Equations

p =mv

The Attempt at a Solution

2mfsinT = -mv/2sin 45
mv+2m+ 0 - mv xdr
mv = mv/2cos45+2mfcosT

Anyone help ..

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing you are trying to use conservation of momentum. What is f? What is xdr? Why do you only have a 2m there in the second line? Actually, that second line isn't even an equation! You need to start by drawing a diagram and breaking it up into x and y components, before the collision and after.

hage567 said:
I'm guessing you are trying to use conservation of momentum. What is f? What is xdr? Why do you only have a 2m there in the second line? Actually, that second line isn't even an equation! You need to start by drawing a diagram and breaking it up into x and y components, before the collision and after.

I have
let theta of missing angle = x
v2 = velocity of second mass , 2m
cos45mv/2 + cosX = mv
sin45mv/w= sin X 2Mv2
I can't solve it now..

"cos45mv/2 + cosX = mv"

There should be a term for the velocity of the 2m mass in front of the cosX.

"sin45mv/w= sin X 2Mv2"

I'm assuming the w is really a 2??

Everything looks OK I think. You have two equations and two unknowns (not counting the v that is the initial velocity). So put the second equation in terms of one of the unknowns and plug it into the first equation. Solve for that unknown.

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, space, and time. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the natural world around us and how it works. It also provides the foundation for many other scientific disciplines, such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. Additionally, many technological advancements and innovations are based on principles of physics.

What are the different branches of physics?

The main branches of physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other subfields include astrophysics, biophysics, and particle physics.

How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is important to have a solid foundation in mathematics and to practice problem-solving skills. You can also read textbooks, watch educational videos, and participate in hands-on experiments to deepen your knowledge.

What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has countless real-world applications, such as designing and improving technologies like computers, smartphones, and renewable energy sources. It also helps us understand natural phenomena like weather patterns, the behavior of atoms and molecules, and the movement of celestial bodies.

Suggested for: Solve for the Velocity and Direction of Mass 2m After Collision | Physics Help

Back