Solve Free Body Diagrams: Tension, Gravitational, Equations

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
MagLok
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7172/testiiifo2.jpg Here is an image of the problem (taken from a practice test.)


Homework Equations


F=ma


The Attempt at a Solution


I drew the free body diagrams for each, but I have no idea what the equation would be. I came up with equations for each mass, and solved for a in one, plugged into the other and got this.

Tension Force (string, m2) - Grav Force (earth, m2)=M2*((-tension force string, M1)/m1)

This doesn't appear to me to be a position equation.. please help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this is not descriptive enough, please let me know and I'll run to my friend's house and scan my work.
 
Well, if you draw the free body diagram for figure 2, you simply have for each part, the one sitting on the table is:

Tension = m1 * a

The one hanging is:

mg - Tension = m2 * a

Plug in for the tension:

mg - m1 a = m2 * a
mg = (m1+m2) a
a = m/(m1+m2) * g

So you would need to plot m/(m1+m2) on the x axis. Hope this helps.