Solve Free Fall Problem: Object Launched at 25 m/s, Reaches 20m at 2.55 s

  • Thread starter Thread starter cheerspens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fall Free fall
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
cheerspens
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An object is launched upwards with a velocity of 25 m/s. At what time (or times) will the object be located twenty meters above the ground?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I started off with the following variable list:
Xo=0 Vo=25
X=0 V=0
t=? a=-9.8
Which seems very off to me.
When trying to solve I got 2.55 seconds. But is there another time where it reaches 20m?
How do you solve this?
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cheerspens said:

The Attempt at a Solution


I started off with the following variable list:
Xo=0 Vo=25
X=0 V=0
t=? a=-9.8
Which seems very off to me.
When trying to solve I got 2.55 seconds. But is there another time where it reaches 20m?
How do you solve this?
Thanks!

[tex]x=V_0 t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]


will help you. Remember it is going up, reaching maximum height and falling back down to the ground. So at two times it will be 20m up in the air.