Raindrop free falling -- calculate the velocity and time

In summary, we are asked to calculate the time for each raindrop to reach the ground, the velocity of the drops as they reach the ground, and the speed of a drop at a height of 14.7 m, given that raindrops fall from a broken gutter at 1.0 s intervals to the ground, which is 19.6 m below. Neglecting air resistance and taking g as 9.81, we can use the equation t= sqrt(s/(U+0.5a)) to find the time for each drop to reach the ground. We can also use the equation sqr(2x9.81x19.6) to calculate the velocity of the drops as they reach the ground.
chemie726283

Homework Statement

Raindrops fall from a broken gutter at 1.0 s intervals to the ground , 19.6 m below

Neglecting air resistance and taking g as 9.81 calculate
  1. the time for each drop to reach the ground
  2. velocity of the drops as they reach the ground
  3. speed of drop at the height of 14.7 m
I would really be grateful if someone could telll me if my answers are right and help me with an approach to nr 3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. t= sqrt of (s/(U+0.5a))
  2. sqr.2x9.81x19.6
  3. I don't know how to approach this

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chemie726283 said:

Homework Statement

Raindrops fall from a broken gutter at 1.0 s intervals to the ground , 19.6 m below

Neglecting air resistance and taking g as 9.81 calculate
  1. the time for each drop to reach the ground
  2. velocity of the drops as they reach the ground
  3. speed of drop at the height of 14.7 m
I would really be grateful if someone could telll me if my answers are right and help me with an approach to nr 3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. t= sqrt of (s/(U+0.5a))
  1. what is U here?
    [*]sqr.2x9.81x19.6
    ok
    [*]I don't know how to approach this
    you found the speed at 19.6m; do the same for 14.7m. But be careful: it says at a height of 14.7m, not 14.7m below the gutter!
[/QUOTE]

Likes chemie726283

What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a raindrop during free fall?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a raindrop during free fall is v = gt, where v is velocity in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

How do you measure the time it takes for a raindrop to fall?

The time can be measured using a stopwatch or a timer. Start the timer when the raindrop begins to fall and stop it when it hits the ground. Make sure to take multiple measurements and calculate the average for more accurate results.

Does the size or weight of the raindrop affect its velocity during free fall?

Yes, the size and weight of the raindrop can affect its velocity during free fall. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the greater the mass of an object, the greater the force needed to accelerate it. Therefore, a heavier raindrop will fall faster than a lighter one.

Can the velocity of a raindrop during free fall change?

Yes, the velocity of a raindrop can change during free fall. This is due to the effect of air resistance, which can slow down the raindrop as it falls. As the raindrop gains speed, the air resistance increases, eventually balancing out the force of gravity and causing the raindrop to reach a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.

What factors can affect the calculation of velocity and time during raindrop free fall?

The factors that can affect the calculation of velocity and time during raindrop free fall include air resistance, temperature, and altitude. These factors can impact the acceleration due to gravity and the density of air, which can affect the speed at which the raindrop falls. It is important to control for these factors when conducting experiments to calculate the velocity and time of raindrop free fall.