Solve large equation (Mathematica)

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Anna Kaladze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, the conversation is about a complicated function involving parameters w and v, and the speaker is trying to take the derivative and solve for tau. However, Solve is taking a long time and the speaker is wondering if they are doing something wrong. Suggestions are made to use Maximize/Minimize functions instead or to let Solve run even if it may be messy. The speaker also mentions the possibility of expanding the function around a certain point.
Anna Kaladze
Hi All,

I have a big ugly function (please see the attached Mathematica file), of tau (f(tau)). The only parameters there in symbolic form are w and v. I need to take the derivative of this function with respect to tau, set it equal to zero and solve for tau. (Please see g(tau)). But Solve runs for a long time. Part of me says it is not surprising because the function is complicated, but part of me is saying I am doing something wrong which makes Solver run “inefficiently”, as in the past I was able to get a nice compact solution for tau albeit for somewhat less complex looking problems. Can you please help?

Thanks a lot.

Anna.

Attachments

• Problem.nb
    8.2 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps nice compact solutions simply don't exist if your expressions are too complicated. Do you really require an algebraic expression? If not, plug in your expressions for w and v, then use Solve/NSolve.

queenofbabes said:
Perhaps nice compact solutions simply don't exist if your expressions are too complicated. Do you really require an algebraic expression? If not, plug in your expressions for w and v, then use Solve/NSolve.

Yes, I require an algebraic solution. I wonder what would be the most efficient way to get in Mathematica.

Just let it run. If it is messy then it will take a long time.

Can you expand it about some point?

It appears that you are trying to maximize(or Minimize) the function. If so there is already the Maximize (and Minimize) functions.

1. How do I input a large equation into Mathematica?

To input a large equation into Mathematica, you can use the traditional input method by typing the equation into the input cell or you can use the "Insert" menu to select the type of equation you want to input.

2. How do I solve a large equation in Mathematica?

To solve a large equation in Mathematica, you can use the built-in function "Solve" or "NSolve" depending on whether you want an exact or numerical solution. Make sure to assign variables to the equation before using the solve function.

3. Can I simplify a large equation in Mathematica?

Yes, you can simplify a large equation in Mathematica using the function "Simplify". This function will attempt to reduce the complexity of the equation by combining terms and applying mathematical identities.

4. How do I plot a large equation in Mathematica?

To plot a large equation in Mathematica, you can use the "Plot" function. Make sure to assign variables to the equation and specify the range of values for the variables to be plotted.

5. Can Mathematica handle extremely large equations?

Yes, Mathematica is designed to handle extremely large equations and can handle both symbolic and numerical calculations. However, the time it takes to solve the equation may increase as the size of the equation increases.