Solve large equation (Mathematica)

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Anna Kaladze
  • Start date
Hi All,

I have a big ugly function (please see the attached Mathematica file), of tau (f(tau)). The only parameters there in symbolic form are w and v. I need to take the derivative of this function with respect to tau, set it equal to zero and solve for tau. (Please see g(tau)). But Solve runs for a long time. Part of me says it is not surprising because the function is complicated, but part of me is saying I am doing something wrong which makes Solver run “inefficiently”, as in the past I was able to get a nice compact solution for tau albeit for somewhat less complex looking problems. Can you please help?

Thanks a lot.

Anna.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Perhaps nice compact solutions simply don't exist if your expressions are too complicated. Do you really require an algebraic expression? If not, plug in your expressions for w and v, then use Solve/NSolve.

Perhaps nice compact solutions simply don't exist if your expressions are too complicated. Do you really require an algebraic expression? If not, plug in your expressions for w and v, then use Solve/NSolve.
Yes, I require an algebraic solution. I wonder what would be the most efficient way to get in Mathematica.

Just let it run. If it is messy then it will take a long time.

Can you expand it about some point?

It appears that you are trying to maximize(or Minimize) the function. If so there is already the Maximize (and Minimize) functions.