Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving ODEs with large parameters in Mathematica 9

Tags:
  1. Jul 24, 2014 #1

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I have an ODE ##e^{2x}H(Hv'(x) + H'v' + Hv'') + (k^2 - 2e^{2x}H^2(1 + \frac{H'}{2H}))v = 0## where ##H(x)## is a known function that Mathematica has stored as an interpolation from a previous ODE and ##v(x)## is the unknown function to be solved for. ##k## is the adjustable parameter. Using ParametricNDSolve, Mathematica has no problem solving for an interpolation of ##v## if ##k## is very small e.g. on the order of ##10^{-3}## or even on the order of unity. But I have to solve for ##v## using values of ##k## that are of the order ##10^7## to ##10^{12}##. Right now I'm running ParametricNDSolve for ##k \sim 10^7## and it is taking ages to solve for ##v##. In fact I don't know if it actually will eventually solve for ##v## in a reasonable amount of time. If it doesn't solve it in a reasonable amount of time then I have no hope of ParametricNDSolve solving it in uniform steps between ##k \sim 10^7## and ##k \sim 10^{12}##. Is there a reasonable way to work around this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook