Solve physics problem using trigonometry knowing what are you doing

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of y_i, which is defined as the distance from the floor to the end of a rope of length R. The participants consider two triangles, HBC and AHC, and use the cosine theorem to determine y_i as AB-BH. It is noted that the total height and lowest level are not given, but it is determined that the lowest level is R from the top when θ is 0°. The equations mgh=1/2mv^2 and v2f=2g(R-Rcosθ) are also mentioned in relation to the problem. There is discussion about the definition and calculation of y_i, as well as the accuracy and completeness of the given information.
blob84

Homework Statement

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/3053/ph1d.png

How does he get y_i=R-Rcos(theta)?

The Attempt at a Solution

if we get two triangles HBC and AHC, Rcos(theta)=AH, AB=AH+BH and AB-BH=AH=y_i.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are A, B, C and H? Also, what is the total height from the floor to the top of the rope?

What is the lowest level the actor can go?
This level is zero PE reference.

AHC and HBC are two triangles that we get if we draw a line from the bottom of R to the floor and by the cosine theorem we get y_i=AB-BH,
there isn't the total height.

Lowest level is R from top when θ=0°.
At yi, from top is Rcosθ
mgh=1/2mv2
h=R-Rcosθ

v2f=2g(R-Rcosθ)

If [itex]y_i[/itex] is really defined as the distance from the floor to the end of rope of length [itex]R[/itex] hanging from an UNKNOWN height, then the text is incorrect, [itex]y_i[/itex] cannot be given any value FROM THE GEOMETRY of the problem, it is just undefined.

If it is defined FROM THE PHYSICS of the problem, then it should be defined as height from the lowest possible point, then it is what is given in the text. But the picture is INCORRECT in this case, unless the lowest point is the floor - which makes the subsequent determination of the force incorrect.

1. How does trigonometry help in solving physics problems?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. In physics, many problems involve triangles, such as calculating distances, velocities, and forces. Trigonometry provides the necessary formulas and techniques to solve these types of problems.

2. What are the basic trigonometric functions used in physics?

The basic trigonometric functions used in physics are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to relate the angles and sides of a triangle in a right triangle. Other important functions include secant, cosecant, and cotangent, which are derived from the basic functions.

3. How do you use trigonometry to find an unknown side or angle in a physics problem?

To find an unknown side or angle in a physics problem, you can use the trigonometric ratios sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios are used to set up equations and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to remember to use the appropriate inverse function to solve for an angle.

4. Can trigonometry be used in non-right triangles in physics?

Yes, trigonometry can be used in non-right triangles in physics. However, it is important to first use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the missing side in a right triangle, before applying trigonometric functions to solve for the unknown variable in the non-right triangle.

5. How can I determine which trigonometric function to use in a physics problem?

To determine which trigonometric function to use in a physics problem, you should carefully read the problem and identify the known and unknown variables. Then, you can use the appropriate trigonometric function based on the given information, such as the side lengths or angles of a triangle. It is also helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem.