Solve Sphere Charge: Find Electric Field 2.5m from Center

In summary, the question is about finding the electric field at a specific distance from the center of a sphere with a charge density given in terms of a power function. The student is unsure of the meaning of the power notation and is seeking clarification.
stumpoman

Homework Statement

I have a question about notation. My professor posted an older practice test with some different notation techniques than I am used to.

"Sphere Charge
Find the electric field 2.5 m from the center of a region of space with a charge density given by ro=5.5 E-15 R**(2.3)"

I understand most of it but am unsure what the R**(2.3) means.

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r^2
ρ = 5.5 E-15

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the R**(2.3) has something to do with the volume of the sphere but other than that I have nothing.

Attached is a screenshot of the question.

Attachments

• Sphere Charge.jpg
    Sphere Charge.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 307
Physics news on Phys.org
stumpoman said:

Homework Statement

I have a question about notation. My professor posted an older practice test with some different notation techniques than I am used to.

"Sphere Charge
Find the electric field 2.5 m from the center of a region of space with a charge density given by ro=5.5 E-15 R**(2.3)"

I understand most of it but am unsure what the R**(2.3) means.

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r^2
ρ = 5.5 E-15

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the R**(2.3) has something to do with the volume of the sphere but other than that I have nothing.

Attached is a screenshot of the question.

'**' is Fortran talk for power. It's just ##R^{2.3}##. It's giving the charge density as a function of distance from the center of the sphere. You need to integrate that over the sphere to get total charge.

Likes 1 person

1. How do you calculate the electric field at a point 2.5m from the center of a charged sphere?

To calculate the electric field at a point 2.5m from the center of a charged sphere, you can use the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

3. Can the electric field at a point be negative?

Yes, the electric field at a point can be negative. This means that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force that would be exerted on a positive test charge placed at that point.

4. How does the electric field change as the distance from the center of a charged sphere increases?

The electric field decreases as the distance from the center of a charged sphere increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases with the square of the distance.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula to calculate the electric field at a point from a charged sphere?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the formula to calculate the electric field at a point from a charged sphere. The formula assumes that the sphere is a point charge and that the point of interest is located outside of the sphere. Additionally, this formula only applies to a perfectly symmetrical, uniformly charged sphere.