Solve Tangential Speed Equation: Planet Radius 5.99x10^6 m, G-Accel 7.87 m/s^2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ripcurl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Speed Urgent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Ripcurl
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If the rotation of a planet of radius 5.99x10^6 m and free-fall acceleration 7.87 m/s^2 increased to the point that the centripetal acceleration was equal to the gravitational acceleration at the equator, what would be the tangential speed of a person standing at the equator?


Homework Equations


Vt=rW (tangential velocity equals radius times omega, or angular velocity)


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't even know how to go about solving this. The way the problem is set up is confusing to me. This is the only problem out 30 some-odd questions that I have not done correctly. My homework is due at 12:00 tonight and I have almost an A, but this question is really bothering me. Can someone help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you're not on Eastern Standard Time. You are given the gravitational acceleration. What's the formula for centripetal acceleration? Set them equal.. you'll be going real fast...