1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion - finding tangential acceleration

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem
    A 6 kg block is released from a height of 5 m on a frictionless track and goes into a half pipe with a radius of 2 m. Determine the tangential and radial components of the acceleration when the block reaches a height of 2 m.

2. Relevant equations
    Ac= v^2/r. At = r*angular acceleration. Maybe Vt = angular velocity*r

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I set potential energy at 5m = potential energy at 2m and kinetic energy to find the velocity. I got it and then squared it then divided by 2 to get centripetal/radial acceleration. Now here's where I'm stuck.

I have the radius and the tangential velocity and that's it. I know that tangential acceleration = angular acceleration*r but I don't have the angular acceleration. I can find the instantaneous angular velocity, but it's a single number, not a function so I can't take the derivative. I have no clue where to go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How about considering the forces acting on the block?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted