Angular Acc. Homework: Calculate Centripetal & Angular Acc.

I found the angular acceleration to be 0 and the tangential acceleration to be 0 as well.In summary, an airplane making a circular turn with a radius of 9 km at a constant speed of 650 km/h has an angular velocity of 0.02 rad/s and a centripetal acceleration of 3.62 m/s^2. Since the speed is constant, the angular and tangential acceleration are both zero.
Jam51

Homework Statement

An airplane makes a circular turn of radius 9 km at a constant speed of 650 km/h. Calculate the magnitude of the plane's a. angular velocity, b. centripetal acceleration, c. angular acceleration, d. tangential acceleration

Homework Equations

w = v/r
aR = w^2r

The Attempt at a Solution

I found angular velocity to be 0.02rad/s and centripetal acceleration to be 3.62m/s^2

If the speed is constant would the angular and tangential acceleration be zero? I'm not sure that I am understanding the theory behind this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely :smile:. Angular acceleration ## \alpha = {\Delta \omega\over \Delta t} = 0 ## for constant angular velocity ##\omega##.
And tangetial acceleration is ##\alpha r##; both are constant in your exercise. On to the next one !

Likes Jam51
Thanks

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the change in the angular position of an object over time.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the direction of an object's rotation is changing, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing in a straight line.

3. How do you calculate centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the object's tangential velocity and r is the radius of its circular path.

4. What is the relationship between angular acceleration and centripetal acceleration?

Angular acceleration and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as one increases, the other also increases.

5. Can you provide an example of calculating angular acceleration?

For example, if a car is traveling at a constant speed of 20 m/s around a circular track with a radius of 10 meters, its tangential velocity would be 20 m/s and its centripetal acceleration would be (20 m/s)^2 / 10 m = 40 m/s^2. The angular acceleration would then be calculated by dividing the centripetal acceleration by the radius, giving an angular acceleration of 4 rad/s^2.