How Do You Solve Linear Systems with Irrational Numbers Precisely?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a linear system with irrational numbers "precisely" by leaving the irrational terms as they are, as opposed to using a calculator which may only display rational approximations. The professor may be trying to show the limitations of using a calculator for such problems. It is mentioned that multiplying one equation by a certain factor will result in an infinite number of solutions, and the conversation also touches on using Cramer's rule and experiencing difficulty with solving a problem using determinants.
adc85
One of the questions on a handout was this:

Solve the following linear system:

[2 1 : 4 ]
[2*sqrt of 3 sqrt of 3 : 4*sqrt of 3]

A) Precisely B) With a calculator.

Since this linear system contains irrational numbers, how would you solve it "precisely"? How would the answer be any different than if a calculator was used? Do I just leave alone the irrational square root terms and express the answer like that? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
adc85 said:
One of the questions on a handout was this:

Solve the following linear system:

A) Precisely B) With a calculator.

Since this linear system contains irrational numbers, how would you solve it "precisely"? How would the answer be any different than if a calculator was used?
Your solution may contain irrational numbers. Most calculators only display rational approximations (as some finite decimal).
Do I just leave alone the irrational square root terms and express the answer like that?
Unless you can find another way of expressing them that is not an approximation, yes. :)

Maybe the professor is trying to show you what happens when you solve a system like that with a calculator. I don't know what happens when you try to solve that with a calculator, but since the above works for all x,y in R I would guess that the calculator can't represent this solution or something. The professor might therefore be trying to show you the dangers of using a calculator to solve systems of equations. Just a guess :/

EDIT: Why it works for all x,y in R--multiply top by -sqrt(3)

If you multiply the first equation by sqrt(3), you will see that the two become identical. This means that they are linearly dependant and there will be NO unique solution. There will actually be an infinite number of solutions. Maybe that is what your prof was trying to show.

Parth Dave, so what about the calculator part? Would it hold true for the calculator part too? How would I know?

Also, if I had problem like:

[4*sqrt of 3 5 : 2 ]
[5 sqrt of 13 : 1 ]

What approach do I need to take here (same subject on solving precisely and solving by calculator)? I have to solve using determinants. He never covered this in class yet it's on the homework.

Well if you have to solve it using determinants then you probably need to solve it using Cramer's rule.

I tried that with the precise method by leaving alone the irrational numbers (keeping the square roots the way they are). And I end up with this really really long term that just doesn't seem right you know? Thanks for your help though.

1. How do I set up a linear system using matrices?

To set up a linear system using matrices, you need to identify the variables in the equations and create a matrix for the coefficients of each variable. Then, set up a matrix for the constant values and combine them into an augmented matrix.

2. What is the process for solving a linear system using matrices?

The process for solving a linear system using matrices involves performing row operations on the augmented matrix until it is in reduced row-echelon form. Then, the solution can be obtained by reading the values of the variables from the matrix.

3. Can I use matrices to solve any type of linear system?

Yes, matrices can be used to solve any type of linear system, whether it is a system of equations with two variables, three variables, or more. The process for solving the system will be the same, regardless of the number of variables.

4. Is there a specific method for using matrices to solve linear systems?

Yes, there are several methods for using matrices to solve linear systems, such as Gaussian elimination, Gauss-Jordan elimination, and Cramer's rule. These methods involve different approaches to performing row operations on the augmented matrix.

5. Can I check my solution to a linear system using matrices?

Yes, you can check your solution to a linear system using matrices by substituting the values of the variables into the original equations and checking if they satisfy all of the equations. If the values satisfy all equations, then the solution is correct.