Find the linear speed of the particle when system rotates about axis

Aurelius120
Homework Statement
A uniform circular disc radius R and mass M with a particle of mass M fixed on edge. The system is free to rotate about chord PQ. It is allowed to fall from vertical. Find the linear speed of the particle when it reaches the lowest point.
Relevant Equations
##P.E.=\int{Fdx}##
Question image:
20231126_230807.jpg

The question should be solved by conservation of mechanical energy.( I assume surface density##\sigma## and acceleration due to gravity##g=const.##)Therefore:
$$PE_i+KE_i=PE_f+KE_f$$
The axis of rotation ##PQ## is line of zero potential. Then
1) ##PE_i=\int Fdy##
Since coordinates of center are ##(0,\frac{R}{4})## I define the integral as:
$$PE_i=\int^{R}_{-R}\left( 2g \sigma \left(y+\frac{R}{4}\right) \sqrt{R^2-y^2}\right)dy +\frac{5MgR}{4}$$ y is with respect to center.

2) $$KE_i=0$$
3) $$PE_f=-PE_i$$
4) $$KE_f=\frac{I\omega^2}{2}=\left( \frac{MR^2}{4}+\frac{MR^2}{16}+\frac{25MR^2}{16} \right)\frac{\omega^2}{2}$$

I thought I had it but then integration struck and I could not do it no more. Moreover the final answer keeps giving a ##pi##(wrong integration on my part I guess) term that does not cancel.

So my questions are :
1) How to find the potential energy of the system?
2) Is there any other method that could give answers faster?
3) Finally is my integral correct? Any hint/help in further solving it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I looked for the solution online but there is no explanation of how they find the potential energies. Just this:
Screenshot_20231126_235517_Chrome.jpg

Thank you 😊

Aurelius120 said:
So my questions are :
1) How to find the potential energy of the system?
2) Is there any other method that could give answers faster?
3) Finally is my integral correct? Any hint/help in further solving it?
(1) Consider that the external force of gravity acts at the center of gravity. That's what the solution that you found did.
(2) See (1) above.
(3) No need to integrate. See (1) above.

kuruman said:
kuruman said:
(1) Consider that the external force of gravity acts at the center of gravity. That's what the solution that you found did.
(2) See (1) above.
(3) No need to integrate. See (1) above.
Ok but just for the sake of it, is the integral correct? You know in case it had to be proven that the center of gravity method is correct

Aurelius120 said:
Ok but just for the sake of it, is the integral correct?
Finish integrating and if you get ##PE_i=mg\left(R+\dfrac{R}{4}\right)+mg\dfrac{R}{4}##, then it is correct.

Likes Aurelius120
Aurelius120 said:
I guess because the particle is at A . ##5R/4## above reference line
Whoops! I was misled by the diagram, which makes it look at least R/2.

Have evaluated the integral. It was correct. Adding it for future reference.
$$PE_{i_{ disc}}=\int^{R}_{-R}\left( 2g \sigma \left(y+\frac{R}{4}\right) \sqrt{R^2-y^2}\right)dy$$
$$=\int^{R}_{-R}\left( 2g \sigma

y \sqrt{R^2-y^2}\right)dy +\int^{R}_{-R}\left( 2g \sigma \frac{R}{4}\sqrt{R^2-y^2}\right)dy$$
$$=\int^{R}_{-R}\left(- g \sigma \sqrt{R^2-y^2}\right)d(R^2-y^2) +\int^{R}_{-R}\left( 2g \sigma \frac{R^2}{4}\sqrt{1-\frac{y^2}{R^2}}\right)dy$$
$$=\left[-\frac{ 2g \sigma}{3} {\sqrt{R^2-y^2}}^3\right]^{R}_{-R}+\int^{R}_{-R}\left( 2g \sigma \frac{R^2}{4}\sin \theta \right)dy$$

$$\frac{y}{R}=\cos\theta \implies \frac{dy}{d\theta}=-R\sin \theta$$
$$=0+\int^{R}_{-R}\left( 2g \sigma \frac{R^3}{4}(-\sin^2 \theta) \right)d\theta$$

$$=\int^{R}_{-R}\left( 2g \sigma \frac{R^3}{4}×\frac{\cos(2 \theta)-1}{2} \right)d\theta$$

$$=\frac{g \sigma R^3}{4}\left[ \sin \theta \cos \theta-\theta\right]^{R}_{-R}$$

$$=\frac{g \sigma R^3}{4}\left[ \frac{y}{R}\sqrt{1-\frac{y^2}{R^2}}-\cos^{-1}(y/R)\right]^{R}_{-R}$$

$$=\frac{g \sigma R^3}{4}\left[ \frac{y}{R}\sqrt{1-\frac{y^2}{R^2}}-\cos^{-1}(y/R)\right]^{R}_{-R}$$
$$=\frac{\sigma g R^3 \pi}{4}=\frac{mgR}{4}$$

1. What is the formula for finding the linear speed of a particle in a rotating system?

The formula for finding the linear speed of a particle in a rotating system is v = rω, where v is the linear speed, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the particle, and ω is the angular speed.

2. How do you determine the direction of the linear speed in a rotating system?

The direction of the linear speed in a rotating system is always tangential to the circular path of the particle. It points in the direction of motion of the particle at any given point in time.

3. Can the linear speed of a particle change in a rotating system?

Yes, the linear speed of a particle can change in a rotating system if the angular speed or the distance from the axis of rotation changes. Any change in these values will result in a change in the linear speed of the particle.

4. How does the linear speed of a particle in a rotating system relate to its angular speed?

The linear speed of a particle in a rotating system is directly proportional to its angular speed. This means that as the angular speed increases, the linear speed also increases, and vice versa.

5. Can the linear speed of a particle be negative in a rotating system?

Yes, the linear speed of a particle can be negative in a rotating system. This occurs when the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the rotation, resulting in a negative velocity. However, the magnitude of the linear speed will still be the same as if it were positive.