Solve velocity addition problems using 4-vector

In summary, the multiplication rule of gamma or time component of four velocity seems to work in the perpendicular case.
Natchanon
Homework Statement
An inertial frame F' moves in the x direction with speed v = 0.9c relative to another frame F. A traveler is moving with velocity u' = 0.5c i + 0.5c j in the frame F'. Determine the traveler's velocity in the frame F.
Relevant Equations
u_parallel = (u_parallel' + v)/(1+vu_parallel'/c^2)
u_perpen = u_perpen'/gamma(1+vu_perpen'/c^2)
I used the two equations above to solve for u_x and u_y and got u = 0.987c, where u_parallel = u_x and u_perpen = u_y. I wonder if I can use velocity four-vectors to solve this problem. Modify η = Λμνην so we can use it for velocity addition?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
As a byproduct of recent study in another thread, in perpendicular case, the below shown multiplication rule of gamma or time component of four velocity seems to work.
[tex]\gamma=\gamma_1\gamma_2[/tex]
where S_1 is moving against S with speed ##v_1## corresponding ##\gamma_1## in say x-direction, S_2 is moving against S_1 with speed ##v_2## corresponding ##\gamma_2## in say y-direction, and ##\gamma## is corresponding to velocity of S_2 against S with direction ##(v_1, v_2/\gamma_1,0)##.
I will be glad if you check it works or not.

Last edited:
mitochan said:
Hi.
As a byproduct of recent study in another thread, in perpendicular case, the below shown multiplication rule of gamma or time component of four velocity seems to work.
[tex]\gamma=\gamma_1\gamma_2[/tex]
where S_1 is moving against S with speed ##v_1## corresponding ##\gamma_1## in say x-direction, S_2 is moving against S_1 with speed ##v_2## corresponding ##\gamma_2## in say y-direction, and ##\gamma## is corresponding to velocity of S_2 against S with direction ##(v_1, v_2/\gamma_1,0)##.
I will be glad if you check it works or not.
More generally, assume a particle is moving with velocity ##u## in a reference frame, S_1, that is moving at velocity ##v## with respect to another frame, S_2, (assume along the x-axis). Then, the gamma factor of the particle in S_2 is:

##\gamma_2 = \gamma \gamma_1 (1 - \frac{vu_x}{c^2})##

The simplest way to show this is to consider the time component of the 4-velocity of the particle:

In S_1 we have ##u^0 = \gamma_1 c##

In S_2 we have ##u_2^0 = \gamma_2 c##

And, these are related by the Lorentz Transformation:

##u_2^0 = \gamma(u^0 - \frac{vu_x}{c^2})##

Putting these together gives the required result.

In the special case where ##u_x = 0##, we have ##\gamma_2 = \gamma \gamma_1##

Likes mitochan
Very exciting. Thanks.

RHS of your ##\gamma_2## formula coincides with inner product of non dimensional four-vectors,
##U^\mu V_\mu## in (+---) convention, where
[tex]U^\mu=(\gamma_u, \gamma_uu_x/c, \gamma_uu_y/c, \gamma_uu_z/c)[/tex]
[tex]V^\mu=(\gamma_v, \gamma_vv_x/c, \gamma_vv_y/c, \gamma_vv_z/c)[/tex]
Is it right to ascribe the origin of term ##uv_x## in velocity addition rule to this four vector inner product ?

Doing substitution in your last formula I got
[tex]\gamma_2=\gamma(\gamma_1-\frac{vu_x}{c^2})[/tex]
It does not coincide with your ##\gamma_2## formula. wrong where ?

Last edited:
mitochan said:
Very exciting. Thanks.

RHS of your ##\gamma_2## formula coincides with inner product of non dimensional four-vectors,
##U^\mu V_\mu## in (+---) convention, where
[tex]U^\mu=(\gamma_u, \gamma_uu_x/c, \gamma_uu_y/c, \gamma_uu_z/c)[/tex]
[tex]V^\mu=(\gamma_v, \gamma_vv_x/c, \gamma_vv_y/c, \gamma_vv_z/c)[/tex]
Is it right to ascribe the origin of term ##uv_x## to this four vector inner product ?

Doing substitution in your last formula I got
[tex]\gamma_2=\gamma(\gamma_1-\frac{vu_x}{c^2})[/tex]
It does not coincide with your ##\gamma_2## formula. wrong where ?
Yes, the formula generalises further to any two velocities, using the inner product.

I used different notation for the frames. That's the only reason it's different from yours.

Likes mitochan
PeroK said:
And, these are related by the Lorentz Transformation:
Thanks. I just restate it to confirm my understanding.

There are three IFRs, say ##S,S_1,S_2##.
In S Origin of ##S_1## is moving with four velocity ##v_1^\mu##.
In S Origin of ##S_2## is moving with four velocity ##v_2^\mu##.
In ##S_1## Origin of ##S_2## is moving with four velocity
[tex]\Lambda(-v_1)^\mu_\nu v_2^\nu[/tex]
In ##S_2## Origin of ##S_1## is moving with four velocity
[tex]\Lambda(-v_2)^\mu_\nu v_1^\nu[/tex]
where ##\Lambda(v)## is matrix of Lorentz transformation with four velocity v. These two should have opposite sign but same magnitude in space components.

I have not been well prepared to do detailed calculation admitting general directions for v_1 and v_2.

(edit)
Say S_1 and S_2 are Lorentz transformed from S. Transformation between S_1 and S_2 should include boost and rotation. In ##\Lambda(-v)## minus means space inversion without change of time component.

Last edited:
mitochan said:
Thanks. I just restate it to confirm my understanding.

There are three IFRs, say ##S,S_1,S_2##.
In S Origin of ##S_1## is moving with four velocity ##v_1^\mu##.
In S Origin of ##S_2## is moving with four velocity ##v_2^\mu##.
In ##S_1## Origin of ##S_2## is moving with four velocity
[tex]\Lambda(-v_1)^\mu_\nu v_2^\nu[/tex]
In ##S_2## Origin of ##S_1## is moving with four velocity
[tex]\Lambda(-v_2)^\mu_\nu v_1^\nu[/tex]
where ##\Lambda(v)## is matrix of Lorentz transformation with four velocity v.
These two have same magnitude but opposite sign in space components.
That may be true, but that's not what I said in post #3.

Likes mitochan
Natchanon said:
Homework Statement: An inertial frame F' moves in the x direction with speed v = 0.9c relative to another frame F. A traveler is moving with velocity u' = 0.5c i + 0.5c j in the frame F'. Determine the traveler's velocity in the frame F.
Homework Equations: u_parallel = (u_parallel' + v)/(1+vu_parallel'/c^2)
u_perpen = u_perpen'/gamma(1+vu_perpen'/c^2)

I wonder if I can use velocity four-vectors to solve this problem.

Thanks to the teachings in above posts. Let me try answer it.

Suppose Lorentz transformation the matrix of which is

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cccc}

A'^0 \\ A'^1 \\ A'^2 \\ A'^3 \\

\end{array} \right)=

\begin{pmatrix}

\gamma_u & 0 & 0 & -\gamma_u u \\

0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\

0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\

-\gamma_u u& 0 & 0 & \gamma_u \\

\end{pmatrix}

\left( \begin{array}{cccc}

A^0 \\ A^1 \\ A^2 \\ A^3 \\

\end{array} \right)

=

\gamma_u A^0 - \gamma_u u A^3 \\ A^1 \\ A^2 \\ -\gamma_u u A^0 + \gamma_u A^3 \\

\end{array} \right)

[/tex]
where velocity is non dimension for divided by c. I can set z-axis be the direction of boost without losing generality. x, y components do not change.

Let A be four velocity of a moving body

[tex]

A^0 \\ A^1 \\ A^2 \\ A^3 \\

\end{array} \right)

=

\gamma_v \\ \gamma_v v_x \\ \gamma_v v_y \\ \gamma_v v_z \\

\end{array} \right) [/tex]
[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cccc}A'^0 \\ A'^1 \\ A'^2 \\ A'^3 \\\end{array} \right)=
\left( \begin{array}{cccc}\gamma_u \gamma_v (1-uv_z) \\

\gamma_v v_x \\

\gamma_v v_y \\

\gamma_u \gamma_v (-u+v_z) \\\end{array} \right)= \ \gamma_u \gamma_v (1-uv_z)\left( \begin{array}{cccc}1 \\

\frac{v_x}{\gamma_u (1-uv_z)} \\

\frac{v_y}{\gamma_u (1-uv_z)} \\

\frac{ -u+v_z}{{1-uv_z}} \\\end{array} \right)[/tex]Usual expression of velocity addition rule appears.
Numerator comes from Lorentz transformation of z component.
Denominator comes from Lorentz transformation on t component.
Product ##u v_z## originates from Lorentz transformation of four velocity. One from Lorentz transformation coefficient and the other come from four velocity component.
x and y components of four velocity are invariant by Lorentz transformation, but actual speed is reduced by denomination factor ##\gamma_u (1-uv_z)##. It is due to change of ##\gamma## from ##\gamma_v## to ##\gamma_u (1-uv_z)\gamma_v## by the Lorentz trarnsformation.

(Complement)

mitochan said:
I can set z-axis be the direction of boost without losing generality.
For general direction of boost Lorentz transformation be

[tex]\Lambda=\begin{pmatrix}
\gamma & -\gamma v_x & -\gamma v_y & -\gamma v_z \\
-\gamma v_x & 1+\alpha v^2_x & \alpha v_x v_y & \alpha v_x v_z \\
-\gamma v_y & \alpha v_x v_y & 1+\alpha v^2_y & \alpha v_y v_z \\
-\gamma v_z & \alpha v_x v_z & \alpha v_y v_z & 1+\alpha v^2_z \\ \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
where
[tex]\alpha=\frac{\gamma-1}{v^2}=\frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma+1}[/tex]
##v, v_x, v_y, v_z## are dimensionless velocity, divided by c.

Last edited:

1. What is velocity addition using 4-vectors?

Velocity addition using 4-vectors is a mathematical concept used in special relativity to calculate the combined velocity of two objects moving in different reference frames. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, resulting in a more accurate calculation than the classical Galilean addition of velocities.

2. How is velocity addition using 4-vectors different from classical velocity addition?

Classical velocity addition follows the Galilean transformation, which assumes that time and space are absolute and do not change with relative motion. In contrast, velocity addition using 4-vectors takes into account the principles of special relativity, including the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity.

3. What is the formula for velocity addition using 4-vectors?

The formula for velocity addition using 4-vectors is v = (u + w) / (1 + (uw/c^2)), where v is the combined velocity, u is the velocity of one object, w is the velocity of the other object, and c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

4. How do you solve velocity addition problems using 4-vectors?

To solve velocity addition problems using 4-vectors, you need to first determine the velocities of the two objects in their respective reference frames. Then, use the formula v = (u + w) / (1 + (uw/c^2)) to calculate the combined velocity. Finally, check your answer to ensure it is consistent with the principles of special relativity, such as the speed of light being the same in all reference frames.

5. What are some real-life applications of velocity addition using 4-vectors?

Velocity addition using 4-vectors is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of astrophysics and aerospace engineering. It is important for calculating the velocities of objects with high relative speeds, such as spacecrafts and particles accelerated in particle accelerators. It is also used in satellite communication systems, where precise velocity calculations are necessary for accurate transmission of data.