Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)

• Thread starter Nathi ORea
  • Start date
In summary: I do understand that logical pathway though (if that is the correct usage at all), just the leap from: Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)To: a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = (b - a) / (ab)
Nathi ORea
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: solving
a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ =
b - a /(ab)

I know that;

a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ =
b - a /(ab)

I am so lost as to how this answer is found. Can someone please give me a hint on any rules that allows you to solve this. A link perhaps

Thanks heaps.

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that ##a^{-1}=\frac{1}{a}## and ##b^{-1}=\frac{1}{b}.## If that's not clear, it would be a good idea to review how negative exponents work. We can put these fractions over the common denominator of ##ab## so:

$$\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}=\frac{b}{ab}-\frac{a}{ab}=\frac{b-a}{ab}$$

Infrared said:
Note that ##a^{-1}=\frac{1}{a}## and ##b^{-1}=\frac{1}{b}.## If that's not clear, it would be a good idea to review how negative exponents work.
$$a^{-1}=a^{0-1}=\frac{a^0}{a^1}=\frac{1}{a}$$
When it comes to functions that are not constants, the rule changes:
Remark at "Calculus - A Complete Course 7th ed - Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex":
"Do not confuse the ##-1## in ##f^{-1}## with an exponent. The inverse ##f^{-1}## is not the reciprocal ##1/f##. If we want to denote the reciprocal ##1/f(x)## with an exponent we can write it as ##\left(f(x)\right)^{-1}##

Nathi ORea said:
solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)
There is no solving (in the sense of finding values, such that the equation is satisfied).
Do you mean "showing " ?

And: did you really mean a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab) ? Or did you mean: a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = (b - a) / (ab) ?

##\ ##

Likes scottdave
Nathi ORea said:
TL;DR Summary: solving
a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ =
b - a /(ab)
As already noted, this problem is not about solving an equation, but rather, proving that it is a true statement, at least for ##a \ne 0## and ##b \ne 0##.
BvU said:
And: did you really mean a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab) ? Or did you mean: a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = (b - a) / (ab) ?
It can only be the latter.

@Nathi ORea, as written the right side of the equation is b - a /(ab), which means ##b - \frac a {ab}##. Although you used parentheses on the right side, you didn't use enough of them. If you want to write ##\frac{b - a}{ab}## without using LaTeX, write this as (b - a)/(ab), as @BvU did.

Likes berkeman
Infrared said:
Note that ##a^{-1}=\frac{1}{a}## and ##b^{-1}=\frac{1}{b}.## If that's not clear, it would be a good idea to review how negative exponents work. We can put these fractions over the common denominator of ##ab## so:

$$\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}=\frac{b}{ab}-\frac{a}{ab}=\frac{b-a}{ab}$$
Thanks heaps for the reply.

I did know the negative exponents. I would have got as far as 1/a- 1/b. I should have included that. I just wanted to get this question in quickly before work, so when I got home I had something to work off.. lol

I don't really get what you did after that sorry..

1/a- 1/b to a/(ab) - b/(ab).

I am not sure how you did that? Can you please explain.

I get the next step from:

a/(ab) - b/(ab) to (a-b)/(ab)

I'm fine with that at least.

I appreciate your help.

mcastillo356 said:
Remark at "Calculus - A Complete Course 7th ed - Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex":
"Do not confuse the ##-1## in ##f^{-1}## with an exponent. The inverse ##f^{-1}## is not the reciprocal ##1/f##. If we want to denote the reciprocal ##1/f(x)## with an exponent we can write it as ##\left(f(x)\right)^{-1}##
I appreciate your answer.

I am a pretty untalented 43 year old who is slowly (very slowly) making his way though a year 11 NSW textbook.. That sentence goes completely over my head.. lol.

I do understand that logical pathway though (if that is the correct usage at all), just the leap from:
Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 5.55.07 pm.png

I didn't quite get. How are they the same?

BvU said:
There is no solving (in the sense of finding values, such that the equation is satisfied).
Do you mean "showing " ?

##\ ##
Sorry. I am not good with the lingo. I'll remember that.

Thanks.

Mark44 said:
As already noted, this problem is not about solving an equation, but rather, proving that it is a true statement, at least for ##a \ne 0## and ##b \ne 0##.

It can only be the latter.

@Nathi ORea, as written the right side of the equation is b - a /(ab), which means ##b - \frac a {ab}##. Although you used parentheses on the right side, you didn't use enough of them. If you want to write ##\frac{b - a}{ab}## without using LaTeX, write this as (b - a)/(ab), as @BvU did.
Yup. I stuffed up there ;)

Nathi ORea said:

If you have a fraction, you can always multiply the numerator and denominator of the fraction by the same (nonzero) number, without changing the value of the fraction, for example, ##\frac{3}{4}=\frac{3\times 5}{4\times 5}=\frac{15}{20}.## This should make sense- if you have ##5## times as much money to distribute equally among ##5## times as many recipients, for example, then the amount of money each person receives is unchanged.

In our case, we can multiply the numerator and denominator of ##\frac{1}{a}## by ##b## to see that it is equal to ##\frac{b}{ab}## and similarly ##\frac{1}{b}## is equal to ##\frac{a}{ab}## (you wrote this backwards in the message I quoted).

Likes Nathi ORea and PeroK
mcastillo356 said:
This is only hindering the OP, who's not at this level yet.

• Sad
Likes gmax137, SammyS and mcastillo356
Nathi ORea said:
I am a pretty untalented 43 year old who is slowly (very slowly) making his way though a year 11 NSW textbook..
This problem is an example of using what is called a common denominator. You should have heard about them. The post above by @Infrared shows how useful this is when you have specific fractions, like
$$\dfrac 1 2 - \dfrac 1 3 = \dfrac 3 6 - \dfrac 2 6 = \dfrac 1 6$$Or, when you have algebra to do:
$$\dfrac 1 a - \dfrac 1 b = \dfrac {b}{ab} - \dfrac {a}{ab} = \dfrac{b-a}{ab}$$In the first case, we used a common denominator of ##6 = 2 \times 3##. In the second case, the common denominator was ##ab##.

Likes Nathi ORea and MatinSAR
Nathi ORea said:
Thanks heaps for the reply.

I did know the negative exponents. I would have got as far as 1/a- 1/b. I should have included that. I just wanted to get this question in quickly before work, so when I got home I had something to work off.. lol

I am not sure how you did that? Can you please explain.

I get the next step from:

a/(ab) - b/(ab) to (a-b)/(ab)

I'm fine with that at least.

I appreciate your help.
Would you agree that we can multiply by (ab)/(ab) {when a and b are not zero} without changing the value?

So multiply (1/a) by (ab)/(ab) can be arranged as [(ab) / a ] * [ 1 / (ab) ] = b * [ 1 / (ab) ] = b / (ab).

Do the same for the (1/b) term then combine.

Likes Nathi ORea
PeroK said:
This problem is an example of using what is called a common denominator. You should have heard about them. The post above by @Infrared shows how useful this is when you have specific fractions, like
$$\dfrac 1 2 - \dfrac 1 3 = \dfrac 3 6 - \dfrac 2 6 = \dfrac 1 6$$Or, when you have algebra to do:
$$\dfrac 1 a - \dfrac 1 b = \dfrac {b}{ab} - \dfrac {a}{ab} = \dfrac{b-a}{ab}$$In the first case, we used a common denominator of ##6 = 2 \times 3##. In the second case, the common denominator was ##ab##.
Thanks for that. I went back and learnt how to do it. I appreciate you gave it a name, because it makes it easier to search it up.

Likes BvU

1. What is the equation "Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)" used for?

The equation "Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)" is used to solve for the value of a and b in a given equation. It is commonly used in algebra and calculus to solve for unknown variables.

2. How do you solve the equation "Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)"?

To solve the equation "Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)", you can use the following steps:
1. Simplify the equation by multiplying both sides by (ab).
2. Use the distributive property to expand the equation.
3. Combine like terms on both sides of the equation.
4. Use the inverse property of exponents to rewrite the equation as (a - b)/(ab) = b - a.
5. Cross-multiply and solve for the value of a and b.
6. Check your solution by plugging in the values of a and b into the original equation.

3. Can the equation "Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)" have multiple solutions?

Yes, the equation "Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)" can have multiple solutions. This is because there are infinite combinations of values for a and b that can satisfy the equation. It is important to check your solution to ensure it is the correct one.

4. What are the possible restrictions for the variables a and b in the equation "Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)"?

The restrictions for the variables a and b in the equation "Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)" are that they cannot be equal to 0. This is because division by 0 is undefined and would make the equation invalid.

5. How is the equation "Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)" related to inverse operations?

The equation "Solving a⁻¹ - b⁻¹ = b - a /(ab)" is related to inverse operations because it involves finding the inverse of both a and b. The inverse operation of a number is the value that, when multiplied by the original number, results in a product of 1. In this equation, we are solving for the values of a and b that will result in a product of 1 when multiplied together.