Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a differential equation similar to Legendre

1. Jun 1, 2009 #1
    I am trying to solve the following differential equation:

[tex](\frac{L^2}{6k^2}+\frac{w\sqrt{3}}{2}\sin^2\theta\ sin 2\phi)\psi=E\psi[/tex]

where is the angular momentum given by:

[tex]L^2 = \frac{1}{\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta }\left(\sin\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\right)-\frac{1}{\sin^2\theta}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial\phi^2}.[/tex]

goes from 0 to [itex] $\pi$ [/itex] while [itex] $\phi$ [/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2 $\pi$ [/itex]. w and k are constants and E is the energy of the system.. This differential equation is non separable. However i have realised that

[tex] \begin{equation*} \sin^2\theta\ sin 2\phi= i w\sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{15}} (Y_2^{-2}-Y_2^{2}). \end{equation*} [/tex]

I plugged that in differential equation above and multiplied the whole equation by [itex]Y_{l}^{m}[/itex] and then used the integral properties of three spherical harmonics multiplied together (in terms of wigner 3 j symbols). This is to get a recursion relation between different coefficients found in the solution that I assumed :

[tex] \begin{equation*}
    \psi=\sum_{l=1}^{n} A_{l,1} Y_l^1 .
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

I am looking at the case when m=1 hence the substitution by 1 for m in above equation. My two questions are: (1) How will I treat the term above contatining i? I only took the part without i and got solutions but some of the eigenvalues are complex (it is an energy term) so it is not possible! (2) even inserting i would cause more problems as u still get complex values..can anyone tell me what might be going wrong?.

Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted