1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a partial differential equation (Helmholtz equation)

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    Hey!

I am trying to solve this quite nasty (as least I think so : - ) partial differential equation (the Helmholtz equation):

[tex]
    \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r \frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial r}\right) + \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial \phi^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial z^2} + m^2 k^2 \Psi = 0
    [/tex]

I use separation of variables and write the unkown function [tex]\Psi(r,\phi,z)[/tex] as [tex]\Psi(r,\phi,z) = R(r)\Phi(\phi)Z(z)[/tex], insert this in the equation and divide by [tex]R(r)\Phi(\phi)Z(z)[/tex]. This gives me:

[tex]
    \frac{1}{r R} \frac{d}{d r} \left( r \frac{d R}{d r}\right) + \frac{1}{r^2 \Phi} \frac{d^2
    \Phi}{d \phi^2} + \frac{1}{Z}\frac{d^2 Z}{d z^2} + m^2 k^2 = 0
    [/tex]

Now, I am not sure how to move on from here because I have 1/r^2 in the [tex]\Phi[/tex] term so that I cannot use the usual procedures for solving PDE (equating one term to minus the other terms and setting both equal to some constant). Could someone give me a hint on how to proceed from here?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do two separations. You have
    [tex]\frac{1}{r R} \frac{d}{d r} \left( r \frac{d R}{d r}\right) + \frac{1}{r^2 \Phi} \frac{d^2 \Phi}{d \phi^2}= \alpha[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{1}{Z}\frac{d^2 Z}{d z^2} + m^2 k^2 =-\alpha[/tex]

Now multiply that first equation by r2 to get
    [tex]\frac{r}{ R} \frac{d}{d r} \left( r \frac{d R}{d r}\right) + \frac{1}{ \Phi} \frac{d^2 \Phi}{d \phi^2} = r^2\alpha[/tex]
    or
    [tex]\frac{r}{ R} \frac{d}{d r} \left( r \frac{d R}{d r}\right) - r^2\alpha+ \frac{1}{ \Phi} \frac{d^2 \Phi}{d \phi^2} = 0[/tex]
    so that
    [tex]\frac{r}{ R} \frac{d}{d r} \left( r \frac{d R}{d r}\right) - r^2\alpha= \beta[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{1}{ \Phi} \frac{d^2 \Phi}{d \phi^2} = -\beta[/tex]

4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    Perfect, thanks a lot!! :)

5. Apr 20, 2007 #4

J77

Of course, now you have to know how to solve the radial equation :wink:

6. Apr 20, 2007 #5
    Yes that true :) But the radial equation can be rewritten quite easily into Bessels differential equation.

7. Jan 7, 2010 #6
    What if k was not a constant but a function of r and z? How does one proceed now?

8. May 31, 2010 #7
    Can anybody help me in solving this equation in MATLAB ?? Reply soon...
    ∂(ΔΨ) /∂t- ∂Ψ/∂x. ∂(ΔΨ)/∂y + ∂Ψ/∂y. ∂(ΔΨ)/∂x = 0

where Ψ = Stream Function
    Δ = ∇^2 (laplacian Operator)

9. Aug 19, 2010 #8
    Solving a transient partial differential equation

hello all,

Could some one help me on this transient heat conduction equation, i had problem with the latex control on the forum website, so i attached the details of the problem and what i did so far as attachement.
    thanks.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?