Solving a Problem in My Assignment: X1, X2, and X3

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a problem in an assignment, specifically involving the difference between two variables and the assumptions made about a third variable. The participants discuss the possibilities and limitations of the provided information and come to the conclusion that the solutions may vary depending on the unknown variables.
Soma
Homework Statement
Let X1 = [(1,2,3)] and Let X2 = [(4,5,6)] be two solutions of the linear system AX = B. Find all solutions X3 of this system, such that X3 ≠ X1 and X3 ≠ X2.
Relevant Equations
None
This is just a small part of a question I have in my assignment and I'm not sure how to solve it, nothing in my eBook or our presentation slides hints at a similar problem, what I tried was I noticed that X1 and X2 have the difference of (3,3,3) and I assume either X3 = (3,3,3) or X3 = (7,8,9) is that right or am I getting it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
There should be infinitely many possibilities. We know nothing about ##A## or ##B##. The only fact we have is what you have already observed: ##Ax_1=b=Ax_2 \Longrightarrow A(x_2-x_1)=A(3,3,3)=0##. This means the kernel of ##A## is not trivial and at least one dimensional. Thus the kernel may have all dimensions ##1,2,3## depending on what ##A## and ##b## are.

We only know for sure that all vectors ##x_1+\lambda (x_2-x_1)## are solutions, but we cannot know whether these are all solutions.

Likes Soma
Thank you so much for the help! I wasn't sure what to do at first but that makes a lot of sense

1. How do I approach solving a problem in my assignment?

The first step in solving a problem in your assignment is to carefully read and understand the instructions. Then, break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts. Next, brainstorm potential solutions and choose the most appropriate one. Finally, implement your solution and test it to ensure it solves the problem correctly.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem in my assignment?

If you are stuck on a problem in your assignment, take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing the problem with a classmate or seeking help from your instructor. Additionally, you can do some research or review your notes to gain a better understanding of the topic.

3. How can I effectively use X1, X2, and X3 to solve a problem in my assignment?

X1, X2, and X3 are tools or methods that can help you solve a problem in your assignment. X1 represents your knowledge and understanding of the subject, X2 represents your critical thinking skills, and X3 represents your problem-solving skills. By utilizing all three, you can approach the problem from different angles and come up with a well-rounded solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a problem in my assignment?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a problem in your assignment include not fully understanding the instructions, not breaking down the problem into smaller parts, not considering all possible solutions, and not testing your solution. It is also important to avoid rushing through the problem and not seeking help when needed.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for future assignments?

To improve your problem-solving skills, practice regularly by solving different types of problems. You can also seek feedback from your instructor or peers on your problem-solving approach. Additionally, try to think critically and creatively when approaching problems and never be afraid to ask for help when needed.