Solving a problem using a simplified version

• MHB
  • Thread starter estex198
  • Start date
In summary, Carmelo has been commissioned to create a decorative wall for the 21st Annual X Games consisting of a square array of square tiles in a pattern forming a large X. The pattern shown in the example has five rows and five columns. If the wall will have a similar pattern with 21 rows and 21 columns, how many of the colored tiles will be needed?
estex198
While I know the answer to this problem, I can't figure out *how* to get it.

Carmelo has been commissioned to create a decorative wall for the 21st Annual X Games consisting of a square array of square tiles in a pattern forming a large X. The following example shows a pattern with 5 rows and 5 columns. If the wall will have a similar pattern with 21 rows and 21 columns, how many of the colored tiles will be needed?

View attachment 4368

With the 5x5 array there are 25 total blocks and 15 colored blocks. I thought maybe I could use ratios and cross multiply: 15/25 = x/441, but this isn't giving me 79. I know 79 is the correct answer not only because its shown in the back of the book, but because I actually took a ruler and completed the pattern on paper (tedious as it was, I was really frustrated and needed to know I wasnt wasting my time.) Please help!

Attachments

• problem1.png
    problem1.png
    5 KB · Views: 45
Physics news on Phys.org
We know we will have the top and bottom rows colored for a total of 42 tiles. Then one diagonal will be 19 (21 minus the two already counted) and the other diagonal will be 18 for a total of 42 + 19 + 18 = 79. :D

Using this same logic, we could derive a formula for an $n\times n$ grid (where $3\le n$ and $n$ is odd). If we let $C(n)$ denote the number of colored blocks for such a grid, we would get:

\(\displaystyle C(n)=n+n+(n-2)+(n-3)=4n-5\)

Rusty: So your logic is that since two rows will be filled in (n + n), the diagonals will equal the remaining number of lines minus two, with the exception that one of the lines will be one less (n-2) + (n-3), since it will intersect with the other line. Thanks a million btw for a clear and direct answer!
I'm still curious however, if there is a more formal method of solving this problem? Can anyone explain why cross multiplying ratios will not work? Thanks in advance!

1. How can a simplified version help in problem solving?

A simplified version can help in problem solving by breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable components. This can help in understanding the problem better and finding potential solutions more easily.

2. What are the benefits of using a simplified version in problem solving?

Using a simplified version in problem solving can help in identifying the key elements of a problem, reducing confusion and complexity, and allowing for more creativity and innovation in finding solutions.

3. How do you determine what elements to include in a simplified version?

The elements to include in a simplified version can be determined by identifying the most essential aspects of the problem and removing any non-essential or distracting details. This can be done through analysis and careful consideration of the problem at hand.

4. Can a simplified version lead to a less accurate solution?

While a simplified version may not capture all the complexities of a problem, it can still lead to a valid and useful solution. However, it is important to carefully consider the limitations of the simplified version and test its accuracy before implementing it.

5. What are some common challenges when using a simplified version in problem solving?

Some common challenges when using a simplified version in problem solving include oversimplification, lack of consideration for all aspects of the problem, and difficulty in translating the solution back to the original problem. It is important to carefully evaluate the simplified version and its limitations before implementing it.