Solving A Rocket & Traction Apparatus Challenge

In summary, the conversation discussed two problems involving vector addition. The first problem involved finding the resultant force of two engines firing simultaneously, with one producing a thrust of 675N directly forward and the other producing a thrust of 450N at an angle of 20.4° above the forward direction. The solution involved using vector components and magnitude to find a resultant force of 954N at an angle of 16.8° above the forward direction. The second problem involved a patient with a dislocated shoulder being put into a traction apparatus with two equal magnitude forces, resulting in an outward traction force of 5.80N on the patient's arm. The solution involved using vector addition to find a resultant force of slightly more than
sloan13

Homework Statement

A) A rocket fires two engines simultaneously. One produces a thrust of 675N directly forward while the other gives a thrust of 450N at an angle 20.4∘ above the forward direction.

a) Find the magnitude of the resultant force which these engines exert on the rocket.
b) Find the deviation of the direction (relative to the forward direction) of the resultant force which these engines exert on the rocket.

B) A patient with a dislocated shoulder is put into a traction apparatus as shown in the figure. The pulls A⃗ and B⃗ have equal magnitudes and must combine to produce an outward traction force of 5.80N on the patient's arm.

There is a picture of the arm out. There is a horizontal line then two vectors 32 degrees above and below the line.

2. The attempt at a solution
A)

a) 954 N
b) 16.8 degrees

B)

a) ∣∣A⃗ ∣∣3.3 N

I am stumped. Thank you for any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could show your work for part A, that'd be great to see if your reasoning is right. And then I think I understand what the situation looks like for B, but I'm not quite sure what the question is asking, so if you could clarify that as well.

Honestly it was guess work. There aren't any examples like this in our book and we skipped it in class. (this is online homework)

Well, the first part involves finding a resultant force, so you have to find the components of the two vectors given using:

##v_{x} = |v| \times cos(\theta)## and ##v_{y} = |v| \times sin(\theta)##

And then add them together, and then find the magnitude using:

##|v| = \sqrt{v_{x}^{2} + v_{y}^{2}}##

Does all that look familiar?

Suppose the 450 N was 675 N. The angle would be 10.2 degrees then, wouldn't it ? If the force isn't 675 N but a mere 450 N, the resultant angle can't be bigger than 10.2 degrees, can it? IMHO you should guess again...

Make a drawing. Show it. And like Jack I wonder what the question is for part B. My guess for the answer would be a a few % more than 3.3 N. And 5.8 N isn't enough to fix a dislocated shoulder by far !

To jack: yes I know those formulas but I thought you were supposed to do something else. Do I just add them as usual?

sloan13 said:
To jack: yes I know those formulas but I thought you were supposed to do something else. Do I just add them as usual?

Yes, it's just vector addition as usual. The key part of the problem is that it gives you vectors in terms of forces. The thrust of 675N is one vector, with magnitude of 675N at 0° above the forward direction, and the other is a vector with magnitude 450N at 20.4° above the forward direction. Since both engines are fired at the same time, the two forces can be added into a net force with vector addition.

Ok. I got it. Thank you guys.

Related to Solving A Rocket & Traction Apparatus Challenge

1. What is a rocket and traction apparatus challenge?

A rocket and traction apparatus challenge is a problem-solving activity that requires designing and building a device that can launch a rocket and move it along a specific path, usually using traction mechanisms such as wheels or tracks. It combines elements of physics, engineering, and creativity to find a solution to a given challenge.

2. What skills are needed to solve a rocket and traction apparatus challenge?

Solving a rocket and traction apparatus challenge requires a strong understanding of physics, particularly in the areas of motion, force, and energy. Additionally, problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and creativity are essential. Familiarity with basic engineering principles and the ability to work with tools and materials are also beneficial.

3. How do you approach solving a rocket and traction apparatus challenge?

When tackling a rocket and traction apparatus challenge, it's important to first carefully read and understand the challenge requirements. Next, brainstorm potential solutions and choose the most feasible one based on the available materials and resources. Then, create a detailed plan and begin building the device, testing and refining as needed. Finally, evaluate the results and make any necessary adjustments to achieve the desired outcome.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a rocket and traction apparatus challenge?

Some common mistakes when solving a rocket and traction apparatus challenge include not thoroughly understanding the challenge requirements, rushing through the planning and building process, and not testing the device properly before the final launch. It's also important to avoid using materials that are too heavy or not strong enough for the task at hand.

5. What are the benefits of participating in a rocket and traction apparatus challenge?

Participating in a rocket and traction apparatus challenge can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. It also allows for hands-on application of scientific and engineering principles and encourages creativity and innovation. Additionally, it can be a fun and engaging way to learn and apply STEM concepts.