1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a system of equations .

1. Aug 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve simultaneously:
    6(x + y) = 5xy,
    21(y + z) = 10yz,
    14(z + x) = 9zx

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    Obviously one of the solution is (0,0,0) But I'm more interested in finding the other.
    Expanding these three equations , I get -
    6x+6y=5xy
    21y+21z=10yz
    14z+14x=9zx

But what now? I've no experience solving these type of systems . Please give hints.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Multiply each equation by the unknown which doesn't appear in it so that the right hand side of each equation is then a multiple of [itex]xyz[/itex]. You can then eliminate [itex]xyz[/itex] in three ways to end up with three linear simultaneous equations for [itex]xy[/itex], [itex]xz[/itex] and [itex]yz[/itex].

Having solved those, use the fact that [itex](xy)(xz)(yz) = (xyz)^2[/itex] to find [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] up to a sign.

4. Aug 8, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even better: if p = xyz, one can express xy, xz and yz as numerical multiples of p (by solving linear equations with p in the right-hand-sides), so---if x, y and z are non-zero---one gets a unique solution for (x,y,z), with no sign ambiguities.

Also: explore what must happen if one of the variables, say x, is zero.

5. Aug 9, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the hints , but I used a different method to solve this equation. From eq. 1 I got y=(6x)/(5x-6) .
    I substituted that in eq. 2 to get x in terms of z. ( x=(126z)/(126+45z) ) then I substituted that into eq. 3 to get a quadratic equation in z with solutions z=0,7. From z=7 , I got x= 2 . Then I got y=3 from the relationship between x and y obtained earlier from eq. 1 . But I felt that the arithmetic involved was quite daunting and there must be a better way to solve it. I tried using the method that pasmith recommended but am feeling a bit lost. Can anyone please explain a simpler method to solve this system ?

6. Aug 9, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let ##a = xy, \;b = yz, \; c = zx \:\text{ and }\: p = xyz.## Multiply the first equation by z, the second by x and the third by y to get
    [tex]6b+6c=5p\\
    21a+21c=10p \\
    14a+14b=9p[/tex]
    This is a simple 3x3 linear system which can be solved using grade-school methods, to get
    ## a = p/7,\: b = p/2, \: c = p/3.## Assuming ##x,y,z,\neq 0## we have
    [tex] xy = xyz/7 \Longrightarrow z = 7 \\
    yz = xyz/2 \Longrightarrow x = 2\\
    zx = xyz/3 \Longrightarrow y=3 [/tex]

7. Aug 10, 2013 #6
    That's Awesome ! Thanks a lot !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted