Calculating mass from angles and all sides of vector triangle

In summary, the conversation involves an attachment of a drawing where the mass and weight of an object need to be found. The person has already found the mass and tensions of the four strings supporting the object, but is having trouble finding equations to solve for the weight. The suggestion is to use Newton's Second Law, unless the values given in the drawing are not for the tensions in each string.
spcmessina

Homework Statement

the attachment is a drawing of what was given/what i have already found the mass and weight are the only things i have to find and i can't find any equations that will help me figure this out

Attachments

• Lab 7.jpg
    Lab 7.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
spcmessina said:

Homework Statement

the attachment is a drawing of what was given/what i have already found the mass and weight are the only things i have to find and i can't find any equations that will help me figure this out

It appears that you have 4 strings supporting an object with some mass. It also appears you have found 4 of the 4 tensions in the 4 strings (i.e. each string has a tension). Thus the tension in the fourth string equals the weight of the suspended object. In order to find the mass of the suspended object (assuming those 4 tensions on your diagram represent the tension in the strings) use Newton's Second Law: F = ma.

EDIT: Please clarify your drawing if I've wrongly assumed the values given are the tensions in each of the 4 strings (it's hard to tell from your drawing).

CS

I would suggest using the principles of vector addition and trigonometry to calculate the mass from the given angles and sides of the vector triangle. The mass can be calculated by using the formula: mass = force/acceleration, where force can be determined from the given angles and sides of the triangle using the law of cosines and acceleration can be calculated from the known mass and force acting on it. Additionally, it may be helpful to use the principles of equilibrium to determine the weight of the object. By balancing the forces acting on the object, the weight can be calculated using the formula: weight = mass x acceleration due to gravity. It is important to carefully consider all the given information and use appropriate equations and principles to accurately calculate the mass and weight.

1. What is the formula for calculating mass from angles and all sides of a vector triangle?

The formula for calculating mass from angles and all sides of a vector triangle is:
Mass = (Side A x Side B x sin(C)) / G
Where A and B are the known sides of the triangle, C is the included angle, and G is the gravitational constant.

2. Can this formula be used for any type of vector triangle?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of vector triangle, as long as the measurements for the sides and angles are accurate.

3. What units should be used for the measurements in this formula?

The units used for the measurements in this formula can be any consistent unit of length, such as meters or feet. The unit of measurement used for mass should also be consistent with the unit of measurement used for the gravitational constant.

4. What is the gravitational constant and why is it needed in this formula?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a physical constant that represents the force of gravity between two objects. It is needed in this formula because it helps to convert the measurements of the sides and angles into the unit of mass.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate mass from a vector triangle?

Yes, if the vector triangle is a right triangle, the formula can be simplified to:
Mass = (Side A x Side B) / G
This formula only requires the measurement of the two known sides and does not require the included angle.