1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating mass from angles and all sides of vector triangle

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the attachment is a drawing of what was given/what i have already found the mass and weight are the only things i have to find and i cant find any equations that will help me figure this out

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

It appears that you have 4 strings supporting an object with some mass. It also appears you have found 4 of the 4 tensions in the 4 strings (i.e. each string has a tension). Thus the tension in the fourth string equals the weight of the suspended object. In order to find the mass of the suspended object (assuming those 4 tensions on your diagram represent the tension in the strings) use Newton's Second Law: F = ma.

EDIT: Please clarify your drawing if I've wrongly assumed the values given are the tensions in each of the 4 strings (it's hard to tell from your drawing).

CS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook