Solving an equality with absolute values

I see no contradiction.$$|x| = x \ \ (x \ge 0)$$$$|x| = -x \ \ (x \le 0)$$There is no contradiction at ##x = 0##.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
Solve ##\boldsymbol{\mid x-3\mid+\mid x-2\mid=1}##
Relevant Equations
Given ##|x-a| = x-a## if ##x\ge a## but ##|x-a| = a-x## if ##x<a##.
1664450356986.png
Problem statement :
Let me copy and paste the problem to the right as it appears in the text.

Solution attempt (mine) : There are mainly three cases to consider.

(1) ##\boldsymbol{x\ge 3\; :}## Using the relevant equations given above, the problem statement reduces to $$x-3+x-2 = 1\Rightarrow 2x=6\Rightarrow \underline{x =3}$$. We accept this solution as it lies in the given range for this case (##x \ge 3##).

(2) ##\boldsymbol{2\le x<3\; :}## Using the relavant equations, the problem statement reduces to $$3-x+x-2=1\Rightarrow 1 = 1,$$ which is always true. Hene the whole domain is valid as an answer : ##\underline{2\le x<3}##.

(3) ##\boldsymbol{x<2\; :}## Using the relevant equations, the problem statement reduces to $$3-x+2-x = 1\Rightarrow 5-2x=1\Rightarrow 2x = 4\Rightarrow x = 2$$, which falls out of the current range and hence is rejected as a solution.

From the underlined answers above, we can say that the solution to the given problem is ##\boxed{2\le x\le 3\Rightarrow x \in [2,3]}##.

Issue : The text agrees with my answer, but solves the problem in a way which should result in a slightly different answer and not the correct one.

Solution (text) : I copy and paste the solution as it appears in the text below, annotated in places by me where I believe the author is incorrect.

1664454485375.png

Question : Is the text mistaken? An answer would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
Homework Statement:: Solve ##\boldsymbol{\mid x-3\mid+\mid x-2\mid=1}##
Relevant Equations:: Given ##|x-a| = x-a## if ##x\ge a## but ##|x-a| = a-x## if ##x<a##.

View attachment 314803Problem statement : Let me copy and paste the problem to the right as it appears in the text.

Solution attempt (mine) : There are mainly three cases to consider.

(1) ##\boldsymbol{x\ge 3\; :}## Using the relevant equations given above, the problem statement reduces to $$x-3+x-2 = 1\Rightarrow 2x=6\Rightarrow \underline{x =3}$$. We accept this solution as it lies in the given range for this case (##x \ge 3##).

(2) ##\boldsymbol{2\le x<3\; :}## Using the relavant equations, the problem statement reduces to $$3-x+x-2=1\Rightarrow 1 = 1,$$ which is always true. Hene the whole domain is valid as an answer : ##\underline{2\le x<3}##.

(3) ##\boldsymbol{x<2\; :}## Using the relevant equations, the problem statement reduces to $$3-x+2-x = 1\Rightarrow 5-2x=1\Rightarrow 2x = 4\Rightarrow x = 2$$, which falls out of the current range and hence is rejected as a solution.

From the underlined answers above, we can say that the solution to the given problem is ##\boxed{2\le x\le 3\Rightarrow x \in [2,3]}##.

Issue : The text agrees with my answer, but solves the problem in a way which should result in a slightly different answer and not the correct one.

Solution (text) : I copy and paste the solution as it appears in the text below, annotated in places by me where I believe the author is incorrect.

View attachment 314804

Question : Is the text mistaken? An answer would be welcome.
##|x - 3| = x - 3## if ##x \ge 3##, not merely as x > 3 as you wrote. Where I have a problem in the author's solution is in the line you noted as "nice step," in which he doesn't qualify by the range of values of x.

Likes FactChecker
Mark44 said:
##|x - 3| = x - 3## if ##x \ge 3##, not merely as x > 3 as you wrote. Where I have a problem in the author's solution is in the line you noted as "nice step," in which he doesn't qualify by the range of values of x.
The 'nice step' is simply using the identity ##(3-x) + (x-2)=1## which is valid for all values of ##x##.

Mark44 said:
The author writes ##|x-3|=3-x## when ##x\le 3##. Is this correct?
I think ##|x-3| = 3-x## when ##x<3##. The ##\text{equal to}## option does not apply here.

I would look at it graphically. The distance from ##x## to ##2## plus the distance from ##x## to ##3## equals ##1##. We see immediately that ##x## cannot be greater than ##3## or less than ##2##. Then we see that it must hold for any point between ##2## and ##3##.

brotherbobby said:
The author writes ##|x-3|=3-x## when ##x\le 3##. Is this correct?
Yes. Is the equation a true statement when x = 3? What does the equation reduce to in this case?

Mark44 said:
Yes. Is the equation a true statement when x = 3? What does the equation reduce to in this case?
When ##x=3##, both sides of ##|x-3|=3-x## reduce to zero, so yes the statement is true.
However, this contradicts something basic. We are told that ##|x-a|=x-a## when ##x\ge a## and ##\boldsymbol{|x-a|=-(x-a)=a-x}## when ##\boldsymbol{x<a}##. Note the second set of statements in bold. We have ##x<a##, not ##x\le a##, and yet this is what the author is doing. I agree he is right. But does it mean we should modify our basic understanding of absolute values and put ##\ge## and ##\le## for both cases?

brotherbobby said:
When ##x=3##, both sides of ##|x-3|=3-x## reduce to zero, so yes the statement is true.
However, this contradicts something basic. We are told that ##|x-a|=x-a## when ##x\ge a## and ##\boldsymbol{|x-a|=-(x-a)=a-x}## when ##\boldsymbol{x<a}##. Note the second set of statements in bold. We have ##x<a##, not ##x\le a##, and yet this is what the author is doing. I agree he is right. But does it mean we should modify our basic understanding of absolute values and put ##\ge## and ##\le## for both cases?
I see no contradiction.$$|x| = x \ \ (x \ge 0)$$$$|x| = -x \ \ (x \le 0)$$There is no contradiction at ##x = 0##.

brotherbobby said:
However, this contradicts something basic.
Not at all. The only difference between ##|x - 3| = 3 - x## when x < 3, and between ##|x - 3| = 3 - x## when ##x \le 3## is that the former doesn't include 3 while the latter does.

Thank you, to both @PeroK and @Mark44. I will henceforth change my understanding of modulus slightly to include the "equal to" for both cases. Thus, $$|x-a| = x-a\; \text{when}\; \boxed{x\ge a}\; \text{and}\; |x-a|=-(x-a)\;\text{when}\; \boxed{x\le a}.$$

brotherbobby said:
Thank you, to both @PeroK and @Mark44. I will henceforth change my understanding of modulus slightly to include the "equal to" for both cases. Thus, $$|x-a| = x-a\; \text{when}\; \boxed{x\ge a}\; \text{and}\; |x-a|=-(x-a)\;\text{when}\; \boxed{x\le a}.$$
It's really a minor point. Any of the following three would serve as the definition of |x - a|
|x - a| = x - a, if ##x \ge a##; |x - a| = a - x if ##x \le a## (a is included in both sets)
|x - a| = x - a, if ##x \ge a##; |x - a| = a - x if ##x < a## (a is included only in the first set)
|x - a| = x - a, if ##x > a##; |x - a| = a - x if ##x \le a## (a is included only in the second

Likes brotherbobby

1. How do you solve an equality with absolute values?

To solve an equality with absolute values, you must first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation. Then, you can remove the absolute value bars and create two separate equations, one with a positive value and one with a negative value. Finally, solve for the variable in each equation and check your solutions.

2. What is the purpose of using absolute values in equations?

Absolute values are used in equations to ensure that the solution is always positive. This is especially useful when dealing with real-world problems where negative values may not make sense. Absolute values also help to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve.

3. Can you solve an inequality with absolute values?

Yes, you can solve an inequality with absolute values using the same steps as solving an equality. However, the solution will be in the form of a range of values rather than a single value.

4. What happens when there are multiple absolute value expressions in an equation?

If there are multiple absolute value expressions in an equation, you will need to create multiple equations for each possible combination of positive and negative values. This can make the equation more complex, but the same steps of isolating and solving for the variable still apply.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving equations with absolute values?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can be used for solving equations with absolute values. For example, if the absolute value expression is set equal to a negative number, then there is no solution. Also, if the absolute value expression is set equal to a positive number, then the solution will be the opposite of that number.