Solving an equation with logarithms

• Thread starter Kairos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, Simon tried to solve an equation involving A and B, but he wasn't able to get an analytical solution. He found an approximation using the Lambert W-function.
Kairos
Member warned about posting with no effort and without the template
can somebody help me solving:

A*ln(1+A*x)-2*ln(x)-B=0

I thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried applying the rules for logs:
If ln(a)=b then a=exp(b).
ln(a*b)=ln(a)+ln(b)
ln(a^b)=b*ln(a)
exp(ln(a))=a

Solving for what? What are A and B?

for solving a physical problem (about entropy). A and B are constants

Simon, the exponential gives a Ath degree equation.. not more solvable to me

Kairos said:

I get
Kairos said:

Well, I also get a Ath degree equation.

This is why you are supposed to say what you've tried already.

OK. You want to find an equation for x in terms of A and B?
You got as far as:

##(1+Ax)^A=e^Bx^2## ... which, just at a glance, I suspect does not have an analytic solution.
ie. taking the Ath root of both sides: ##1+Ax-e^{B/A}x^{2/A}=0##

What was the original problem? Do you have any reason to believe the equation can be solved?
Where does A and B come from?
i.e. Ax<<1:
$$x\in \frac{-A^2\pm\sqrt{A^4-4e^B}}{2e^B}$$

Kairos said:
can somebody help me solving:

A*ln(1+A*x)-2*ln(x)-B=0

I thank you in advance

I doubt that the equation can be solved in "closed-from", via some type of formula involving A and B. If you are given numerical values for A and B you can solve the equation numerically, using one of the many reasonably effective methods available. If ##|A|## is small we have the approximation that ##A \ln(1+Ax) \approx A^2 x##, and using that approximation in the equation leads to the (approximate) solution
[tex] x \approx \exp \left( -W\left( -\frac{1}{2} A^2 e^{B/2} - \frac{1}{2}B \right) \right), [/tex]
where ##W## is the so-called Lambert W-function. It is a non-elementary function: ##W(x)## is the solution of ##x = W(x) e^{W(x)}##, and is implemented in several computer algebra systems such as Maple or Mathematica.

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that is used to solve exponential equations. It is the inverse operation of an exponent, and is written as logb(x), where b is the base and x is the value being raised to the power.

How do I solve an equation with logarithms?

To solve an equation with logarithms, you first need to isolate the logarithmic term on one side of the equation. Then, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Finally, you can solve for the unknown variable by converting the logarithmic equation into an exponential one.

What are the properties of logarithms?

The three main properties of logarithms are the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. The product rule states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient rule states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator. The power rule states that the logarithm of a number raised to a power is equal to the product of the power and the logarithm of the number.

Do I need to use a specific base for logarithms?

No, you can use any base for logarithms. However, the most commonly used bases are 10 and e (the natural logarithm). When solving equations with logarithms, it is important to use the same base on both sides of the equation.

What are some common mistakes when solving equations with logarithms?

Some common mistakes when solving equations with logarithms include forgetting to apply the properties of logarithms, using the wrong base, and not isolating the logarithmic term before solving. It is important to carefully follow each step and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.