Efficient Logarithmic Calculations for 0.3048 without a Calculator

• Thread starter RChristenk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
RChristenk
Homework Statement
Given ##\log2=0.3010300##, ##\log3=0.4771213##, ##\log7=0.8450980##, find ##\log0.3048##
Relevant Equations
Logarithm rules
##0.3048=\dfrac{3048}{10000}=\dfrac{2^3\cdot3\cdot127}{10^4}##

##\log0.3048=\log(\dfrac{2^3\cdot3\cdot127}{10^4})##

##\Rightarrow 3\log2+\log3+\log127-4\log10##

I don't have the value for ##\log127##, and this problem is to be solved without a calculator. All the logarithms are base ##10##. I'm not sure how else to factorize ##0.3048##. Is there another way entirely or some artificial artifice I can use here? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I'd worry about this problem. I can't see a solution.

As an approximation, can you use ##2^8 = 128##? CORRECTION: ##2^7=128##
##2^3*3*128 = 3072##.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
As an approximation, can you use ##2^8 = 128##?
##2^3*3*128 = 3072##.
But then, what's ##\log 7## for?

##126##?

Both?

Likes FactChecker
Hill said:
But then, what's ##\log 7## for?

##126##?

Both?
Good point! So both approximations are doable with the information given. I don't know which one was expected or better. It seems like 126 was expected.

FactChecker said:
Good point! So both approximations are doable with the information given. I don't know which one was expected or better. It seems like 126 was expected.
Or you could do both approximations and interpolate.

FactChecker said:
Maybe, the midpoint between ##\log 126## and ##\log 128##.

Likes FactChecker
FactChecker said:
As an approximation, can you use ##2^8 = 128##?
##2^3*3*128 = 3072##.
##2^8=256.## It's ##\log 127 \approx 7\log 2.##

Likes FactChecker
fresh_42 said:
##2^8=256.## It's ##\log 127 \approx 7\log 2.##
Thanks! I stand corrected and will note that in the post.

1. How can I efficiently calculate the logarithm of 0.3048 without a calculator?

To calculate the logarithm of 0.3048 without a calculator, you can use the fact that log(0.3048) = log(3.048) - log(10). Since log(10) = 1, you can simplify the calculation by finding the logarithm of 3.048 and subtracting 1 from the result.

2. What is the importance of efficient logarithmic calculations?

Efficient logarithmic calculations are important because they allow for quick and accurate computations without the need for a calculator. This can be especially useful in situations where a calculator is not available or when you want to practice mental math skills.

3. Are there any tips for improving my ability to perform logarithmic calculations without a calculator?

One tip for improving your ability to perform logarithmic calculations without a calculator is to practice regularly. Familiarize yourself with common logarithmic values and their properties to make calculations easier and faster. Additionally, breaking down complex logarithmic expressions into simpler parts can help simplify the calculation process.

4. Can I use logarithmic properties to simplify calculations for other numbers?

Yes, logarithmic properties can be used to simplify calculations for a wide range of numbers. By understanding the properties of logarithms, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule, you can manipulate logarithmic expressions to make calculations more manageable and efficient.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of my logarithmic calculations without a calculator?

To verify the accuracy of your logarithmic calculations without a calculator, you can use estimation techniques. Compare your calculated result to known logarithmic values or use approximation methods to check if your answer is within a reasonable range. Additionally, double-checking your calculations by performing them in a different way can help ensure accuracy.