Solving an irrational equation

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary: In this case, when you check x = \frac{3}{2}, you get:\sqrt{\frac{3}{2} - 1} + \sqrt{2 - \frac{3}{2}} = 0\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}} = 0\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}} = -\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}This is not possible, as the square root of a number cannot be negative. Therefore, the value x = \frac{3}{2} is not a valid solution and is extraneous. The mistake was made in the step where you squared both sides of the equation. This introduced an
Mr Davis 97
I have the irrational equation ##\sqrt{x - 1} + \sqrt{2 - x} = 0##, which has no real solutions. However, when I try to solve the equation, I get a real solution, that is:

##\sqrt{x - 1} + \sqrt{2 - x} = 0##
##\sqrt{x - 1} = -\sqrt{2 - x}##
##(\sqrt{x - 1})^{2} = (-\sqrt{2 - x})^{2}##
##(\sqrt{x - 1})(\sqrt{x - 1}) = (-\sqrt{2 - x})(-\sqrt{2 - x})##
##x - 1 = 2 - x##
##x = \frac{3}{2}##

What am I doing wrong here? In which step am I making a mistake?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
I have the irrational equation ##\sqrt{x - 1} + \sqrt{2 - x} = 0##, which has no real solutions. However, when I try to solve the equation, I get a real solution, that is:

##x - 1 = 2 - x##
##x = \frac{3}{2}##

When you square both sides of an equation, there's the possibility of getting an extraneous solution, one that isn't a solution of the original equation. Here's a simple example.

x = -2 -- solution set is {-2}
Square both sides:
x2 = (-2)2 = 4 -- solution set is now {-2, 2}

By squaring both sides, the solution set went from {-2} to {-2, 2}. As far as the original equation is concerned, the solution x = 2 is extraneous.

The bottom line is: Whenever you square both sides of an equation, you need to check that any solution you get satisifies the original equation.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:

##x - 1 = 2 - x##
##x = \frac{3}{2}##

Checking your found value in the original equation, decide if that value works or not.

1. What is an irrational equation?

An irrational equation is an equation that contains irrational numbers, which cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers. These numbers include pi, e, and square roots of non-perfect squares.

2. How do you solve an irrational equation?

To solve an irrational equation, you must isolate the variable on one side of the equation and move all other terms to the other side. Then, you can use properties of exponents and logarithms to simplify the equation and find the value of the variable.

3. Can irrational equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, sometimes an irrational equation can have multiple solutions. This can occur when taking the square root of both sides of the equation, as the positive and negative square root must both be considered as potential solutions.

4. Are there any special rules for solving irrational equations?

Yes, when solving irrational equations, you must be careful to check for extraneous solutions, which are solutions that do not actually satisfy the original equation. This can happen when taking the square root of both sides of an equation, as it introduces an additional solution that may not be valid.

5. Why is it important to solve irrational equations?

Solving irrational equations is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. These equations often represent real-world problems and finding their solutions can provide valuable information and insights into the problem at hand.