Trigonometric Identity involving sin()+cos()

• B
  • Thread starter erobz
  • Start date
erobz
Gold Member
I'm trying to use the following trigonometric identity:

$$ a \cos ( \omega t ) + b \sin ( \omega t ) = \sqrt{a^2+b^2} \cos ( \omega t - \phi )$$ Where ##\phi = \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{b}{a} \right)## for the following equation:

$$ x(t) = -\frac{g}{ \omega^2} \cos ( \omega t) + \frac{v_o}{ \omega } \sin ( \omega t ) + \frac{g}{ \omega^2} $$

When I apply the identity I get:

##a = -\frac{g}{ \omega^2}##
##b = \frac{v_o}{ \omega }##
##\phi = \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{-v_o \omega}{g} \right)##

$$ X(t) = \sqrt{\left( \frac{g}{ \omega^2} \right)^2+\left( \frac{v_o}{ \omega } \right)^2} \cos \left( \omega t - \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{-v_o \omega}{g} \right) \right) + \frac{g}{ \omega^2} $$

However, on a plot they are not matching up...What am I doing wrong?

Mass-Spring Oscillator.JPG

Answers and Replies

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I suspect it may be related to the fact that
##\phi = \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{b}{a} \right)## can't distinguish ##\frac{b}{a}## from ##\frac{-b}{-a}##.
Try https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atan2
or add ##\pi## to the result of ##\tan^{-1}## if the x-component is negative.

Likes erobz and topsquark
FactChecker
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You can see from your original equation that CORRECTION the right-hand side is the same no matter what the signs of ##a## and ##b## are, whereas the left-hand side is different when a sign of ##a## or ##b## changes. Your plot of the right-hand side is correct for a positive ##a##, but your example has a negative ##a=-g/\omega^2##.
CORRECTION: I overlooked that ##\phi## of the right-hand side depends on the signs of ##a## and ##b##.

Last edited:
Likes erobz, PeroK and topsquark
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I'm trying to use the following trigonometric identity:

$$ a \cos ( \omega t ) + b \sin ( \omega t ) = \sqrt{a^2+b^2} \cos ( \omega t - \phi )$$ Where ##\phi = \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{b}{a} \right)## for the following equation:
This is not quite right. According to Wikipedia, it should be:
$$ a \cos ( \omega t ) + b \sin ( \omega t ) = sgn(a) \sqrt{a^2+b^2} \cos ( \omega t - \phi )$$ Where ##\phi = \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{b}{a} \right)##.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities#Linear_combinations

Likes topsquark and erobz
erobz
Gold Member
I read the identity from my Mechanical Measurements Text:

Perhaps they are assuming something about ##A,B##, but I don't see it anywhere.

IMG_1739.jpg

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I read the identity from my Mechanical Measurements Text:

Perhaps they are assuming something about ##A,B##, but I don't see it anywhere.

View attachment 315809
If ##A## is taken to be the amplitude (##y(0) = A##), then tacitly ##A > 0##.

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
You can see from your original equation that CORRECTION the right-hand side is the same no matter what the signs of ##a## and ##b## are, whereas the left-hand side is different when a sign of ##a## or ##b## changes. Your plot of the right-hand side is correct for a positive ##a##, but your example has a negative ##a=-g/\omega^2##.
CORRECTION: I overlooked that ##\phi## of the right-hand side depends on the signs of ##a## and ##b##.
You were right if you looked at the case where ##t = 0##, as ##\cos## is positive on the range of ##\tan^{-1}##, which is ##(-\frac \pi 2, \frac \pi 2)##:
$$a = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}\cos(-\phi) = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}\cos(\phi)> 0$$

erobz
Gold Member
If ##A## is taken to be the amplitude (##y(0) = A##), then tacitly ##A > 0##.
But wouldn't the amplitude be ##\sqrt{ A^2 + B^2}## ?

Likes topsquark and PeroK
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
But wouldn't the amplitude be ##\sqrt{ A^2 + B^2}## ?
That's true. The important thing is to remember the mathematical pitfall you uncovered here. It's possible the book's author overlooked it.

Likes topsquark and erobz
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
First, assume ##a > 0## and let ##\phi = \tan^{-1}\big (\frac b a \big )##. Note that ##-\frac \pi 2 < \phi < \frac \pi 2##. Hence: ##\cos \phi > 0## and ##\sin \phi## has the same sign as ##b##. We have:
$$\cos(x - \phi) = \cos x \cos \phi + \sin x \sin \phi$$Where
$$\cos \phi = \sqrt{\cos^2 \phi} = \frac 1 {\sqrt{\sec^2 \phi}} = \frac 1 {\sqrt{1 + \tan^2 \phi}} = \frac 1 {\sqrt{1 + \frac{b^2}{a^2}}} = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}$$And:
$$\sin \phi = sgn(b) \sqrt{\sin^2 \phi} = sgn(b) \sqrt{1 - \cos^2 \phi} = sgn(b)\sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{\sec^2 \phi}}$$$$ = sgn(b)\sqrt{\frac{b^2}{a^2 + b^2}} = \frac{b}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}$$Hence, for ##a > 0## we have:
$$\cos(x - \phi) = \frac 1 {\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}\big(a\cos x + b\sin x\big)$$And$$a\cos x + b\sin x = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}\cos(x - \phi)$$Finally, if ##a < 0##, then:
$$a\cos x + b\sin x = -\big((-a)\cos x + (-b)\sin x \big ) = -\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}\cos(x - \phi)$$Where ##\phi = \tan^{-1}\big(\frac{-b}{-a} \big) = \tan^{-1}\big(\frac{b}{a} \big)##

Likes erobz and topsquark
DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It is really common for people to be sloppy when they say ##\phi = tan^{-1}(b/a)##. As others have said, there are sign issues depending on which quadrant you are in. When things seem wrong always look at a sketch in the complex plane first. This is why all (good) programming libraries have the atan2 function. Also, beware, you'll see this mistake again, from yourself or others.

Likes FactChecker and erobz

Suggested for: Trigonometric Identity involving sin()+cos()

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies