Solving an ODE about a point using a solution about another point?

• Thread starter SithsNGiggles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Point
In summary, the conversation discusses using a previously found solution to solve a new differential equation about a different value of x. The solution is found by substituting u=1-x in the original equation, and the question is clarified regarding the value of u.
SithsNGiggles

Homework Statement

The first task was to solve ##(1-x)y''+y=0## about x = 0, which I've already found.

Now I have to use this solution to solve ##\color{red}{xy''+y=0}## about x = 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the solution about x = 0 (after a lot of rewriting/simplifying) to be

##y=a_0\left(1-\dfrac{1}{2!}x^2-\dfrac{1}{3!}x^3-\dfrac{1}{4!}x^4-\dfrac{2}{5!}x^5-\dfrac{7}{6!}x^6+\cdots\right)+a_1\left(x-\dfrac{1}{3!}x^3-\dfrac{2}{4!}x^4-\dfrac{5}{5!}x^5-\dfrac{18}{6!}x^6+\cdots\right)##

Supposing that's accurate, how can I use it find the next solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let u= 1- x. Then [itex]dy/du= dy/dx (dx/du)= -dy/dx[/itex] and [itex]d^2y/du^2= -(d/dx)(-dy/dx)= d^2y/dx^2[/itex]. The differential equation becomes [itex]ud^2y/^u+ y= 0 with u= 0. So take your solution to [itex](1- x)y''+ y= 0[/itex], and substitute u= 1-x in place of x.

Just for clarification, why is this new ODE about u = 0, and not u = 1? Since we let ##u=1-x##, why don't we have ##u_0=1-x_0\Rightarrow u_0=1-0=1?##

Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I see that having ##u_0=1## doesn't change the question... I guess I'd just like to know why ##u_0## doesn't change.

I take it back! I understand why ##u_0## is 0. Thanks again!

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, based on its current value and the rate at which it is changing.

2. What does it mean to solve an ODE?

Solving an ODE means finding a function that satisfies the equation and describes how the variable changes over time. This function is called the solution of the ODE.

3. How is a point used in solving an ODE?

In order to solve an ODE, a specific point is typically given as an initial condition. This point represents the starting value of the variable, and the solution of the ODE will describe how the variable changes from this point.

4. Can a solution about one point be used to solve an ODE about another point?

Yes, it is possible to use a solution about one point to solve an ODE about another point. This is known as the method of variation of parameters and involves using the known solution as a basis for finding the solution at a different point.

5. What is the significance of using a solution about another point in solving an ODE?

Using a solution about another point allows for a more flexible approach to solving ODEs, as it allows for the solution to be found at any desired point, rather than just at the initial condition. This can be useful in certain applications, such as in physics and engineering.