1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving Ax=b, when b is an eigenvector

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1
    Let A be a nonsingular matrix. What can you say about the convergence of GMRES to the solution of Ax=b when b is an eigenvector of A?

I know that if A is a nonsingular matrix with minimal polynomial of degree m, then GMRES solves Ax=b in at most m iterations.

Because b is an eigenvector of A then: (A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)b=0.

The only thing I've sort of come up with is that because b is an eigenvector, it cannot equal 0. At first I though that that implies that A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I=0, but I'm thinking that that is not necessarily true. However, IF it is true that A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I=0, I completely understand, because this would imply that the minimal polynomial is q(x)=x-[tex]\lambda[/tex]. This would be a minimal polynomial of degree 1, so GMRES would converge in 1 iteration. Can anyone help me out because I don't think this reasoning is correct, but I'm thinking that A-[tex]\lambda[/tex] is not necessarily nonsingular...or is it? Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2
    Can anyone offer any insight?

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    I just read the Wikipedia page on GMRES. Perhaps I misinterpret, but it seems like GMRES sould solve [tex] Ax = b [/tex] in just one step if [tex] b [/tex] is an eigenvector, since the exact solution [tex] x = b/\lambda [/tex] is in the span of [tex] b [/tex] (i.e., the first Krylov subspace).

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4
    Oh wow! That makes so much sense and seems so obvious. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook