Solving Ax=b, when b is an eigenvector

In summary, GMRES solves Ax=b in at most m iterations if A is a nonsingular matrix with minimal polynomial of degree m. If b is an eigenvector of A, then the convergence of GMRES will be even faster, as the exact solution x=b/\lambda is in the span of b. This means that GMRES will converge in just one iteration.
azdang
Let A be a nonsingular matrix. What can you say about the convergence of GMRES to the solution of Ax=b when b is an eigenvector of A?

I know that if A is a nonsingular matrix with minimal polynomial of degree m, then GMRES solves Ax=b in at most m iterations.

Because b is an eigenvector of A then: (A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)b=0.

The only thing I've sort of come up with is that because b is an eigenvector, it cannot equal 0. At first I though that that implies that A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I=0, but I'm thinking that that is not necessarily true. However, IF it is true that A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I=0, I completely understand, because this would imply that the minimal polynomial is q(x)=x-[tex]\lambda[/tex]. This would be a minimal polynomial of degree 1, so GMRES would converge in 1 iteration. Can anyone help me out because I don't think this reasoning is correct, but I'm thinking that A-[tex]\lambda[/tex] is not necessarily nonsingular...or is it? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone offer any insight?

I just read the Wikipedia page on GMRES. Perhaps I misinterpret, but it seems like GMRES sould solve [tex] Ax = b [/tex] in just one step if [tex] b [/tex] is an eigenvector, since the exact solution [tex] x = b/\lambda [/tex] is in the span of [tex] b [/tex] (i.e., the first Krylov subspace).

Oh wow! That makes so much sense and seems so obvious. Thank you!

1. What is the significance of b being an eigenvector in the equation Ax=b?

When b is an eigenvector, it means that it is a special vector that remains in the same direction after being multiplied by matrix A. This makes the equation Ax=b easier to solve since it reduces the number of variables and constraints in the problem.

2. Can an eigenvector always be used in the equation Ax=b?

No, an eigenvector can only be used in the equation Ax=b if it is a valid solution. This means that it must satisfy the equation and also meet any other constraints or conditions given in the problem.

3. How does solving Ax=b when b is an eigenvector relate to finding eigenvalues?

In order to solve Ax=b when b is an eigenvector, you must first find the corresponding eigenvalue for that eigenvector. This is because the eigenvalue determines the actual value of b in the equation Ax=b.

4. Are there any specific techniques or methods for solving Ax=b when b is an eigenvector?

Yes, there are specific techniques and methods for solving Ax=b when b is an eigenvector. These include using the characteristic equation, diagonalization, and the power method.

5. Can solving Ax=b when b is an eigenvector be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, solving Ax=b when b is an eigenvector has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model and solve various systems and phenomena, such as vibrations, electrical circuits, and population dynamics.