Solving Calculus Challenge Problem - Part A & B Answered

• Thread starter mpm166
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus challenge problem and the participants have already solved parts a and b, but are unsure about how to approach parts c and onwards. Suggestions are given, including using an equation with \varepsilon and \Delta \varepsilon to find the minimum value of V(x). However, there is still some difficulty in understanding the question and finding the solution.
mpm166
I have this calculus challenge problem (found here: http://firstyr.appsci.queensu.ca/apsc171/chall1.pdf )

I was able to answer part a and b, however I am unsure how to approach c and onwards

does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it not just a matter or letting in your equation: [itex]\varepsilon = \varepsilon + \Delta \varepsilon[/tex]

So you have:

[tex]V(x) = x^4 - 4x^3 + (\varepsilon + \Delta \varepsilon)x^2 + \delta x + 5[/tex]

Differentiating the above with respect to x, knowing that [itex]\delta x = 0[/itex] then equalising to 0 and solving for x and rearranging for [itex]\Delta \varepsilon[/itex]? Not entirely sure what the question is asking so not sure.

Although thinking about it you would probably have to show which V'(x) = 0 is the minimum.

any other suggestions people?
I still seem to be having trouble

What is your trouble ?

Related to Solving Calculus Challenge Problem - Part A & B Answered

1. What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It is used to understand and analyze various real-world phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay. Calculus is important because it provides a framework for solving complex problems and making accurate predictions in fields like physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. What is a calculus challenge problem?

A calculus challenge problem is a problem that requires advanced knowledge and understanding of calculus principles to solve. These problems often involve multiple concepts and require creative thinking to arrive at a solution.

3. How do I approach solving a calculus challenge problem?

The first step in solving a calculus challenge problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Then, identify the given information and what is being asked. Next, use your knowledge of calculus concepts and techniques to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Finally, use logical reasoning and problem-solving skills to arrive at a solution.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve calculus challenge problems?

Some common techniques used in solving calculus challenge problems include differentiation, integration, optimization, and related rates. Other techniques may include using graphs, equations, and real-world applications to aid in problem-solving.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving calculus challenge problems?

To improve your skills in solving calculus challenge problems, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus principles and techniques. Practice regularly by solving a variety of problems and challenging yourself with harder ones. Additionally, seek guidance from teachers, mentors, or online resources to learn new strategies and approaches to problem-solving.