Derivation of time period for physical pendula without calculus

danpendr
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
TL;DR Summary: I'm stuck trying to find the equation for time period T of a physical pendulum without any calculus using torque.

Hello all.

I am currently writing my IB Physics HL IA (high school physics lab report).

I am investigating the effect of length on the time period of a uniform rod pendulum.

I need to derive the following equation, ideally without using calculus:
1697396880317.png

This website has a good derivation but skips an important step at the end, when stating "This is identical in form to the equation for the simple pendulum and yields a period: EQUATION ABOVE". I was wondering if there was a way to arrive to the equation without jumping through hoops. If anyone could help me continue my derivation I'd be very appreciative. I got as far as this:

1697397217475.png
1697397158902.png

Kind regards
Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a point on the periphery of a disc rotating at constant speed. What is the relationship between the disc's rotation angle at some instant, the x coordinate of the point and the component of its acceleration in the x direction?

haruspex said:
Consider a point on the periphery of a disc rotating at constant speed. What is the relationship between the disc's rotation angle at some instant, the x coordinate of the point and the component of its acceleration in the x direction?
haruspex, thank you for your response, but I don't seem to understand. What do you mean by x-coordinate?

Could you show your working out?

Many thanks
Dan

danpendr said:
What do you mean by x-coordinate?
Take a disc radius r to be rotating about the origin in the XY plane at angular velocity ω. For a point on the perimeter, what is the relationship between its x coordinate and the x component of its acceleration?

1. What is the definition of a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a rigid body that is free to rotate about a fixed axis. It consists of a mass attached to a pivot point, with a center of mass that is not located at the pivot point.

2. How is the time period of a physical pendulum calculated?

The time period of a physical pendulum is calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the time period, I is the moment of inertia of the pendulum, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass.

3. What is the difference between a simple pendulum and a physical pendulum?

A simple pendulum consists of a small mass attached to a string, while a physical pendulum is a rigid body with a mass attached to a pivot point. The time period of a simple pendulum is calculated using the equation T = 2π√(l/g), where l is the length of the string, while the time period of a physical pendulum takes into account the mass distribution and moment of inertia of the pendulum.

4. Can the time period of a physical pendulum be derived without using calculus?

Yes, the time period of a physical pendulum can be derived using the small angle approximation and the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd). This method does not require the use of calculus.

5. How does the length of a physical pendulum affect its time period?

The length of a physical pendulum affects its time period by changing the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass. As the length increases, the time period also increases, since the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass increases, resulting in a larger moment of inertia and a longer time period.