Waves- sending a pulse across a weighted line

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an equation and the use of variables such as U, V, and L. The individual is unsure how to incorporate the weight of the blocks into the calculation and is also unsure if they can solve for the force of tension without knowing any of the angles. They mention using trigonometry to find the angles but are unsure of how to apply the numbers they obtain.
Eaoke3
Homework Statement
A light string with a mass of 10.2 g and a length L=3.40 m has its ends tied to two walls that are separated by the distance D=1.85 m. Two objects, each with a mass M=1.83 kg, are suspended from the string, as shown in the figure below.

If a wave pulse is sent from point A, how long (in milliseconds) does it take for it to travel to point B?
Relevant Equations
I was trying to use f=1/2LSqrt(Ftension/u)
or there is also v=sqrt(Ftension/u)

lambda=2L/m

v= f/lambda
1669160664554.png
Here is a picture of the problem:

I honestly am pretty lost, I'm not looking for an answer, more so an idea to get me started. But here is what I was thinking:

In the equation above I was trying to use:
For U I am unsure how to incorporate the weight of the blocks into the u, so I am unsure how to calculate that.

For the Force of tension- I am unsure if you are able to solve for this, as we don’t know any of the angles.

I would then use that to plug into the second equation to find V, then divide that by (L/2) <---the distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Couple of comments

Eaoke3 said:
A light string with a mass of 10.210.2 g
That number has too many decimal points
Eaoke3 said:
... we don’t know any of the angles.
Of course you do. A bit of calculation is required, sure, but you DO have them.

I corrected it, thank you :- ).

Ohh, well using the L and its corresponding dividing value, I would be able to obtain lengths, but from there I am unsure of how to apply those numbers into anything useful.

I can see that I have different values and variables, but I really think I am missing a big conceptual picture of how to put them all together.

Eaoke3 said:
I corrected it, thank you :- ).

Ohh, well using the L and its corresponding dividing value, I would be able to obtain lengths, but from there I am unsure of how to apply those numbers into anything useful.
Can you not see how to use trig to get the angles? I don't know if they are needed to solve the problem but if they are you can get them.

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without permanently displacing the medium itself.

2. How are waves created?

Waves are created by a source that vibrates or oscillates, causing a disturbance in the medium. This disturbance then travels through the medium, carrying energy with it.

3. What is a pulse wave?

A pulse wave is a type of wave that consists of a single disturbance or pulse that travels through a medium. It is often used to transmit information or signals, such as in telecommunication.

4. How is a pulse wave sent across a weighted line?

A pulse wave can be sent across a weighted line by attaching a weight to one end of the line and then pulling on it to create a disturbance or pulse. This disturbance will then travel through the line, carrying the weight with it.

5. What factors affect the speed of a pulse wave on a weighted line?

The speed of a pulse wave on a weighted line is affected by the tension of the line, the mass of the weight, and the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling, such as its density and elasticity.