Solving Circuit for Open Terminal Voltage & Questions

In summary, the person is seeking help with solving a circuit and finding the voltage at the open terminal. They have tried nodal analysis but are stuck on the 2K-ohm resistor. They want to know if it is valid to replace the circuit with a thevinin equivalent. The expert confirms that it is valid and suggests finding the voltage across the 12K-ohm resistor to get the answer.
seto6
hi i have this circuit to solve and i want to find the voltage at the open terminal.

i have few question regarding this, is there a current through the 2k resistor (i think there is none since there won't be any current through the open)

at the point of open voltage there use to be a load there i am trying to get a thevinin equivalent for it.

i tried nodal analysis but got stuck by the 2k ohm resistor i don't know how to get around that.

can you help me and tell me the way to solve this circuit and answer few of my question thank you so much.

[Image removed by Mentor, as the link now brings up a different image]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
seto6 said:
hi i have this circuit to solve and i want to find the voltage at the open terminal.

i have few question regarding this, is there a current through the 2k resistor (i think there is none since there won't be any current through the open)

at the point of open voltage there use to be a load there i am trying to get a thevinin equivalent for it.

i tried nodal analysis but got stuck by the 2k ohm resistor i don't know how to get around that.

can you help me and tell me the way to solve this circuit and answer few of my question thank you so much.

[Image removed by Mentor, as the link now brings up a different image]
You're right. There won't be any current through the 2K-ohm resistor, so the voltage drop across it will be zero. You're just left with a single loop then, which is simple to analyze.

Last edited by a moderator:
so its valid for me to replace this circuit with:

thevinin voltage of : 4 volts

thevinin resistance of = 6k ohm

Yes.

why do you need thevinin anything? it's just a single loop. find the voltage across the 12k resistor and you have your answer

What is an open terminal voltage?

An open terminal voltage is the voltage measured across the terminals of a circuit when no current is flowing through it. This can occur when there is a break or disconnect in the circuit, or when the circuit is not connected to a power source.

Why is it important to solve for open terminal voltage?

Solving for open terminal voltage can provide important information about the circuit, such as the presence of any breaks or disconnects, the voltage drop across different components, and the overall health of the circuit.

How do you solve for open terminal voltage?

To solve for open terminal voltage, you will need to use Ohm's law (V=IR) and Kirchhoff's voltage law. You will also need to know the resistance values of each component in the circuit and the direction of current flow.

What are some common errors when solving for open terminal voltage?

Some common errors when solving for open terminal voltage include incorrect calculations, using the wrong values for resistance, and not considering the direction of current flow. It is also important to ensure that all components in the circuit are properly connected and functioning.

What other information can be obtained from solving for open terminal voltage?

In addition to determining the open terminal voltage, solving for this value can also provide information about the overall resistance of the circuit and the voltage drop across each component. This information can be useful in troubleshooting and optimizing the circuit.