Solving Complex Math: 2 Questions Answered

• Thread starter suspenc3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, in the first question, the given calculation requires using the conjugate to get the correct answer. In the second question, the set of all z satisfying the given equation or inequality is found by finding the intersection of two inequalities. This can be represented by the set S, which can be visualized by drawing a sketch.
suspenc3
2 Questions:

(1.)Carry out the indicated calculation:

[tex](\frac{-6+2i}{1-8i})^2[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{36-24i+4i^2}{1-16i+64i^2}[/tex]

since [tex]i^2=-1[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{32-24i}{-63-16i}[\frac{-63+16i}{-63+16i}][/tex]

I carry out the math and get an answer of:

[tex]\frac{-2400+1512i}{4225}[/tex]

I must be doing something wrong with the conjugate, as far as i can tell it looks right, but for some reason my signs should be switched to give me the correct answer of:

[tex]\frac{-1632+2024i}{4225}[/tex]

(2.)determine the set of all z satisfying the given equation or inequality:

[tex]|z-2i|<=|z+1+i| & |z|> 4[/tex]

I solved this one down to:
[tex]x^2+y^2-4y+4<=x^2+y^2+2x+2y+2[/tex] & [tex]x^2+y^2>4[/tex]

what do I do to simplify it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you just have to find the intersection of [tex]y \geq -\frac{1}{3}x+\frac{1}{3}[/tex] (implied by the first inequality) and [tex]x^2+y^2 > 4[/tex], i.e. [tex]S=\left\{(x,y) \in \textbf{R}^2: y \geq -\frac{1}{3}x+\frac{1}{3} \wedge x^2+y^2 > 4 \right\}[/tex]. Draw a sketch of S.

Last edited:

Related to Solving Complex Math: 2 Questions Answered

1. What is the best approach for solving complex math problems?

The best approach for solving complex math problems is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows you to focus on one aspect at a time and build towards the final solution. It is also important to understand the underlying concepts and principles involved in the problem, as well as utilizing problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams, making equations, and working backwards.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in complex math?

Improving problem-solving skills in complex math involves practice, patience, and perseverance. It is important to start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more challenging ones. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and working with a tutor or study group can also help improve problem-solving skills. It is also important to reflect on your approach and identify areas for improvement after solving a problem.