Solving Firework Explosion Homework Problem

• Thread starter cstout
  • Start date
In summary, at the highest point, a firecracker explodes into three equal pieces. Two pieces move away from each other at 130 m/s in perpendicular directions. The third piece must also be moving at 130 m/s to conserve momentum.
cstout

Homework Statement

A firecracker is tossed straight up into the air. It explodes into three pieces of equal mass just as it reaches the highest point. Two pieces move off at 130 m/s at right angles to each other. How fast is the third piece moving?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do with this problem, I thought the third piece would be the same as the other two at 130m/s but this is not the case. What is there to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum

Initially the momentum is zero(because it was at the highest point and wasn't moving)

but now you have three pieces, so the x and y components of the three pieces' momentums(I hate saying momenta)must cancel so that Pi=Pf

so does Pi = 260(mass) and Pf = mass(velocity) so the masses cancel and the velocity is 260?

Related to Solving Firework Explosion Homework Problem

1. How do I approach solving a firework explosion homework problem?

There are a few key steps to solving a firework explosion homework problem. First, carefully read the problem and make sure you understand all the given information. Then, identify any relevant equations or formulas that may help you solve the problem. Next, plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, double check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving firework explosion homework problems?

One common mistake is using incorrect units or forgetting to convert units when necessary. Another mistake is not carefully considering all the given information and trying to solve the problem too quickly. It's also important to check your work and make sure you properly apply any formulas or equations used.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for firework explosion homework problems?

Practice makes perfect! The more firework explosion problems you solve, the more familiar you will become with the concepts and equations involved. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps to make it easier to solve. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification if you get stuck.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving firework explosion problems?

Understanding the physics behind firework explosions can have practical applications in fields such as pyrotechnics, chemical engineering, and safety regulations for handling explosives. It can also help with designing and creating more visually stunning fireworks displays.

5. Are there any resources available to help with solving firework explosion homework problems?

Yes, there are many online resources and textbooks that offer practice problems and step-by-step explanations for solving firework explosion problems. Your teacher or professor may also have additional resources or guidance available. It's always a good idea to consult these resources if you need help understanding a concept or solving a problem.