Solving Fluid Questions: 2 Spheres & U-Tube | 65 Characters

• Thread starter icg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid
In summary, the first conversation discusses the determination of acceleration for a thin spherical shell filled with helium and released in a pool of water, while the second conversation involves finding the height of oil in a U-tube containing water and oil. Both questions require the use of formulas and understanding of weight and density. For the first question, a freebody diagram can be used to find the net force on the sphere, while for the second question, the weight of the oil is equal to the weight of the water it displaces and their respective densities must be considered.
icg
1. A thin spherical shell with a mass of 3.82 kg and a diameter of 0.200 m is filled with helium (density = 0.180 kg/m3). It is then released from rest on the bottom of a pool of water that is 3.73 m deep. Neglecting frictional effects, determine the value of that acceleration.

Can anyone help me with this question? I found the volume of the sphere v = m/density, and the area of the sphere, but got stuck on how to actually find the acceleration, would you have to use Force=Pressure/Area somewhere?

2. A U-tube of circular diameter 5.60 mm initally contain just water. If 4.00 milliliters(cm^3) of oil is added to the left hand side of the tube the level of the oil is 6.8 mm higher than the level of the water in the right hand side of the tube. Determine the height of the oil.

Im confused on what they mean by the circular diameter and do you need that to solve the question. I tried using the formula for volume of a cylinder, solving for height, but I don't think that helped at all. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Theres no examples like this in my notes, or in my text, and the assingment is due in 2 hours. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question you should draw a freebody diagram and from there you can get the net force acting on the sphere: buoyant force - weight.

For the second question I think the circular diameter is best described by a donut, from the inside to the outside is 5.6 mm. The total weight of the oil is equal to the weight of the water it displaces, so
h(weight of oil)=(h-6.8)(weight of water). g is the same for both so basically you just have to use their respective densities.

Hope that helps a little.

I would recommend breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using relevant equations to solve for the unknown variables. For the first question, you can use the equation F=ma and consider the forces acting on the spherical shell to find the acceleration. For the second question, you can use the equation for pressure (P = ρgh) and the given information to solve for the height of the oil. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem. Remember to include units in your calculations and double check your work. Good luck!

Related to Solving Fluid Questions: 2 Spheres & U-Tube | 65 Characters

1. How do I calculate the volume of a sphere?

The volume of a sphere can be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr³, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the sphere. This formula can also be applied to finding the volume of two spheres in a fluid question.

2. What is the U-tube method used for in fluid questions?

The U-tube method is a common technique used to measure the difference in pressure between two points in a fluid. It involves a U-shaped tube filled with a fluid and a manometer to measure the pressure difference between the two ends of the tube.

3. How do I calculate the density of a fluid in a U-tube?

The density of a fluid in a U-tube can be calculated using the formula ρ = hρg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, h is the difference in height between the two ends of the tube, and ρg is the density of the fluid in the other arm of the tube.

4. What is the relationship between the buoyant force and volume of a sphere in a fluid?

The buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. In the case of two spheres in a fluid, the buoyant force on each sphere will be equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by that sphere, which is directly proportional to the volume of the sphere.

5. How do I solve for the unknown variables in a fluid question involving two spheres and a U-tube?

To solve for the unknown variables in a fluid question involving two spheres and a U-tube, you will need to use a combination of the equations for volume, pressure, and density, as well as the principles of buoyancy. It is important to carefully label and organize the given information and use the proper units in your calculations.