1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding pressure due to a fluid

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A test tube standing vertically in a test-tube rack contains 2.5 cm of oil (ρ=0.81 g/cm3) and 6.5 cm of water. What is the pressure exerted by the two liquids on the bottom of the test tube?

2. Relevant equations

P=ρgh
    ρ=density of a fluid=mass/volume
    g=gravity

P=F/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know how to start this problem. I think I'm supposed to be using density of a fluid, I'm not sure. If that's the case, I know density of water=1000 kg/m^3

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2
    You should notice that the unit for the height of the oil is cm and the density is g/cm^3. Make sure your units are correct for the density of water. Keep in mind your equation for pressure P=ρgh is gauge pressure (relative to the pressure exerted on the top surface). How much pressure is exerted on the water by the oil. Then how much pressure does the water add to the bottom of the test tube?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook