Solving for a+b+c in $\triangle ABC$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Albert1
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for solving for a+b+c in $\triangle ABC$ is a + b + c = 180 degrees, also known as the Angle Sum Theorem. To find the missing angle, use the formula and plug in the values for the known angles. The Pythagorean Theorem cannot be used to solve for a+b+c in $\triangle ABC$, as it is used for finding missing side lengths in a right triangle. If you only know the lengths of the sides in $\triangle ABC$, you can use the Law of Cosines to solve for the missing angle. There is no specific order in which to solve for the angles and side lengths, but it is recommended to start with the known values.
Albert1
$\triangle ABC$ (with side length $a,b,c$)

given :

$(1)\angle A=60^o$

$(2)$ the area of $\triangle ABC=10\sqrt 3$

$(3) a^2+b^2+c^2=138$

please find :$a+b+c=?$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: find a+b+c

Albert said:
$\triangle ABC$ (with side length $a,b,c$)

given :

$(1)\angle A=60^o$

$(2)$ the area of $\triangle ABC=10\sqrt 3$

$(3) a^2+b^2+c^2=138$

please find :$a+b+c=?$

Area of $\triangle ABC = \frac 1 2 b c \sin 60^\circ = 10\sqrt 3$.
So:
$$bc = 40 \qquad \qquad \qquad \qquad [1]$$

Cosine rule, using [1]:
$$a^2 = b^2+c^2 - 2bc \cos 60^\circ$$
$$a^2 = b^2+c^2 - 2\cdot 40 \cdot \frac 1 2$$
$$b^2+c^2 = a^2 + 40 \qquad \qquad [2]$$

From the given statement with [2]:
$$a^2+b^2+c^2=138$$
$$a^2+(a^2+40)=138$$
$$a=7$$

Back substituting in [2]:
$$b^2+c^2 = 7^2 + 40 = 89 \qquad [3]$$

Note that with [1] and [3]:
$$(b+c)^2 = b^2 + 2bc + c^2 = 89 + 2 \cdot 40 = 169$$

It follows that:
$$b+c = 13$$
And therefore:
$$a+b+c = 7 + 13 = 20$$

1. What is the formula for solving for a+b+c in $\triangle ABC$?

The formula for solving for a+b+c in $\triangle ABC$ is a + b + c = 180 degrees. This is known as the Angle Sum Theorem, which states that the sum of all angles in a triangle is equal to 180 degrees.

2. How do I find the missing angle when given two angles in $\triangle ABC$?

To find the missing angle, you can use the formula a + b + c = 180 degrees. Simply plug in the values for the known angles and solve for the missing angle. Remember, the sum of all angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve for a+b+c in $\triangle ABC$?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem is used to solve for missing side lengths in a right triangle, not angles. To solve for a+b+c in $\triangle ABC$, you will need to use the Angle Sum Theorem.

4. What if I only know the lengths of the sides in $\triangle ABC$? How can I solve for a+b+c?

If you know the lengths of the sides in $\triangle ABC$, you can use the Law of Cosines to solve for the missing angle. The formula is c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cosC, where c is the length of the side opposite the angle C.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should solve for a, b, and c in $\triangle ABC$?

No, there is no specific order in which you should solve for a, b, and c. However, it is recommended to start with the known angles or side lengths and work your way to the missing ones. This will make it easier to keep track of your calculations.