Solving for an angle in 2-D kinematics

In summary, the basketball player attempted to shoot a desperation shot from 14 meters away. She threw the ball at 18 meters per second, and if the shot was successful, she would earn a free throw. The shot was unsuccessful, and the player is not sure what to do next.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

At the buzzer, a basketball player shoots a desperation shot. She is 14m from the basket and the ball leaves her hands exactly 1.4m below the rim. She throws the ball at 18m/s. Can she make the shot? (Solve for necessary angle)

Homework Equations

r2y = r1y + v1y(t2) - 4.9(t22)

same for x-axis analysis

The Attempt at a Solution

For y-position (using above equation):
1.4m = 18(m/s)sinθ(t2s) - 4.9(m/s2)(t2s)2
1.4m = 18(t2)(sinθ)(m) - 4.9(t22)(m)

For x-position:
14m = 18(cosθ)(t2)
t2 ≈ 0.78/(cosθ)

After this, I'm not sure what to do. When I plug the t2 value I got solving the x-position into the y-position equation, I end up with a tanθ as well as a sec2θ with no visible way to combine or cancel the two. I also don't see any way to substitute for the trig values to get them to cancel each other in any way. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Do you know a trig identity that relates tanθ and secθ?

TSny said:
Hello.

Do you know a trig identity that relates tanθ and secθ?

Well, I did try that, but then I ended up with a tanθ with a value minus a tan2θ with a value in the equation, which once again left me with not knowing what to do. If I try to substitute the tan part, then I end up with a square root and once again no way for them to cancel one another or combine.

Suppose you let z = tanθ. Can you write your equation as a quadratic equation in z?

TSny said:
Suppose you let z = tanθ. Can you write your equation as a quadratic equation in z?

Ok, now I see where you are going with that. Thanks a lot. We never did anything like that before, but from what you are saying, I think I can solve it now.

Just so you know, I did what you told me and got the angles right. It could be either 18 or 77 degrees. Thanks so much for your help on this one. Although there was no way I was going to figure out I could do that on my own, as soon as you mentioned it, it made perfect sense.

OK, good work!

1. How do I solve for an angle in 2-D kinematics?

To solve for an angle in 2-D kinematics, you will need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. You will also need to use the equations of motion and vector components to set up the problem correctly.

2. What information do I need to solve for an angle in 2-D kinematics?

You will need to know at least two components of a vector, such as the magnitude and direction, or the horizontal and vertical components. You may also need to know the initial and final positions or velocities.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve for an angle in 2-D kinematics?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for an angle in 2-D kinematics, but make sure your calculator is set to the correct angle mode (degrees or radians) and that you are using the correct trigonometric function for the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving for an angle in 2-D kinematics?

Some common mistakes include using the wrong trigonometric function, not converting between degrees and radians, and not setting up the problem correctly with the given information.

5. Can I solve for an angle in 2-D kinematics without using trigonometry?

Yes, you can solve for an angle in 2-D kinematics without using trigonometry by using the inverse of the sine, cosine, or tangent function. However, this may not be possible in all cases and may require more information or a more complex approach.