Solving for Diameter and Mass of a New Kuiper Object with a Satellite

  • Thread starter Thread starter astronomystudent
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
astronomystudent
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
PROBLEM
If the size of a new Kuiper object is 0.0150 arc sec in angular size as seen from a distance of 42.00 AU, what is the true diameter? If it has a satellite with a period of 5.50 hours at a semimajor axis of 12500.0 km, what is the mass? What is the resulting density? What do you it is composed of?

What I know:
I know that I use V=4/3(pi)r^3 to get the density and previous equations to solve for mass. I don't know how I am supposed to apply the 0.0150 arc seconds or distance to solve for the diameter. What is the equation for that?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship of the some length of segment on the circumference of a circle and the angle subtended by that segment?
 
I have no idea what you mean when you say "angle subtended..."
 
Is the concept of angular size the trouble here. Here is a diagram, with this you should know what to do...
http://www.berrys.plus.com/hh5.gif

So the furthur away the object is, the smaller the angular size will become.

Hope this helps...
Sam
 
Last edited by a moderator: