Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Solving For Right Triangles With A Twist

1. Jan 7, 2017 #1
    Hello Community

Firstly this is not a homework question despite the problem appearing to be very homework like.

I work in engineering. I am trying to determine the amount of clearance I have from a point on the ground to a wall.

I have two points, Point A and Point B.
    Point A is 30mm Higher than Point B.
    If I measure horizontally in the plane of points A and B to the nearest point on the wall I get 650 and vertically I get 800.
    If I was to rotate point A about Point B such that Point A is now 90mm higher then Point B what would my new horizontally and vertical distance to the wall be?

After a few days working on this problem I cannot seem to make any progress.

Attached is a picture of the problem.

Can someone shed any light?

Thank You.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the wall at an angle? I guess you've never done any geometry? :frown:

4. Jan 7, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, and what angle is the wall tilted forward with? And can you label the horizontal distance from the right-most point "B" to the wall?

5. Jan 7, 2017 #4
    The Blue and Red arrows are pointed to a single point on the wall.

The sloped line on the wall has no importance as each wall varies in shape, so you can imagine the sloped line of the wall not really there.

Regarding comment "And can you label the horizontal distance from the right-most point "B" to the wall?" no other information is available other then what is shown on the picture.

From the information I can derive:-
    the angle at point B of the blue and red lines
    The adjacent sides of the red and blue triangles.

6. Jan 7, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Which sloped line do you mean?

The given measurements are sufficient to find A and B. If in doubt, introduce a coordinate system and find the coordinates of every point, and angles if relevant.

7. Jan 7, 2017 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have CAD available ? If you do then this problem can easily be solved graphically .

8. Jan 8, 2017 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted