Solving for tension T1 and T2 in two equations with sines and cosines

  • Thread starter Thread starter olee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
olee
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have two equations in which I need to solve for T, involving two different variables and I'm not too sure how to solve.
(G = 9.8)
10 + T2cos25−T1cos45 = 0
T1sin 45+ T2sin 25−8g = 0


Homework Equations



10 + T2cos25−T1cos45 = 0
T1sin 45+ T2sin 25−8g = 0

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried solving where i used the values of cos 25/45 and sin 25/45 and I couldn't get anywhere.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi olee! :smile:
olee said:
10 + T2cos25−T1cos45 = 0
T1sin 45+ T2sin 25−8g = 0

uhhh? multiply the first equation by sin25º, and the second equation by cos25º, and subtract, to get an equation in T1.