1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show these two equations are equivalent (involves sines and cosines)

1. Aug 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that
    [tex]sin(\alpha)-sin(\beta)=-\frac{v}{c}sin(\alpha+\beta)[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex]cos(\beta)=\frac{-2\frac{v}{c}+(1+\frac{v^2}{c^2})cos(\alpha)}{1-2\frac{v}{c}cos(\alpha)+\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    This is the last step in the derivation of the relativistic reflection law. The first equation was derived using the principle of least time and the second is from Einstein's paper on special relativity.
    [itex]\alpha[/itex] = angle of incidence
    [itex]\beta[/itex] = angle of reflection
    [itex]v[/itex] = velocity of mirror away from light
    [itex]c[/itex] = speed of light

link to diagram

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the identity [itex]sin(\alpha+\beta = sin(\alpha)cos(\beta)+cos(\alpha)sin(\beta)[/itex] on the RHS, squared both sides, changed by the squared sines into cosines squared - some more algebra and this is the best I've got at the moment:

[tex]2c^2(1-sin(\alpha)sin(\beta))-(c^2-v^2)(cos^2(\alpha)+cos^2(\beta))=-2v^2cos^2(\alpha)cos^2(\beta)+2sin(\alpha)cos(\beta)sin(\beta)cos( \alpha)[/tex]

How do I get rid of the sines?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is this supposed to be true without any further relationship between v/c and the two angles? Doesn't seem to be to me.
    I tried writing v/c as tan(phi). The second eqn becomes
    ##\sin(2\phi) = \frac{\cos(\alpha)-\cos(\beta)}{1-\cos(\alpha)\cos(\beta)}##
    Plugging in 0.5 and 1 for the two angles did not give the same phi as given by the first eqn.

4. Aug 29, 2013 #3
    The only relations between v, c and the angles are the ones on the diagram

[tex]cos( \alpha) = \frac{d_0 + vt_a}{ct_a} = \frac{d_0+vt_a}{ \sqrt{(d_0+vt_a)^2+x^2)}}[/tex]
    [tex]cos( \beta) = \frac{d_0 + vt_a}{ct_b} = \frac{d_0+vt_a}{\sqrt{(d_0+vt_a)^2+(l-x)^2)}}[/tex]

5. Aug 29, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

From that, it would appear that there are 2 degrees of freedom for the variables, so effectively no constraints beyond the eqn in the OP. I would try plugging in some numbers for the variables and check that the equations really are equivalent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted