Solving for the Kinetic Energy of a Uniform Disk

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
kenricktan
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A solid, Uniform disk of radius 5.00 cm and mass 1.50 kg is rolling without slipping a long a horizontal surface. The disk makes 2.00 revolution per second

a. Find the total kinetic energy (translational + rotational) of the disk

b. Find the minimum height h of the step (placed in front of the rolling disk) that will prevent the disk from rolling past it. (Hint: assume that the height h is adjusted so that the disk rolls just up to the top of the step and stops. Conserve Energy)


Homework Equations


W= 2.00 Revolution x 2pi radian
V = wr
I = (1/2)mr^2
KE_rot = (1/2)Iw^2
KE = (1/2)mv^2


The Attempt at a Solution


a. I assumed that K_total = KE_rot + KE
K_total = 4.46 x 10^-3 Joules

b. I have no Idea how to solve this...help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The height must be such that energy will be conserved between the initial translational and rotational velocity and the final trans/rot velocity. Ktotal(0) + U(0) = Ktotal(1) + U(1)

I'd begin by drawing a picture. What does the final total Kinetic energy have to be?
 
I tried using 1/2 m Vo^2 + mgh(o) = 1/2 m V1^2 + mgh(1)

and since it says that assuming that it "stops" at the top of the step so I set V1 = 0
and also h(o) = 0

cancels all of the m
so I get h1 = Vo^2 / 2g
Is that right?
 
kenricktan said:
I tried using 1/2 m Vo^2 + mgh(o) = 1/2 m V1^2 + mgh(1)

OK let's stop right here for a sec. 1/2 * Vo^2 is the translational kinetic energy, but you also need to include the rotational kinetic energy because the object is rotating as well as moving forward.