Solving for the Kinetic Energy of a Uniform Disk

In summary: You calculated this in part a., which was correct. So the total kinetic energy at the start is 0.444 J.Now at the top of the step, the object has stopped moving forward, which means the translational kinetic energy is 0. But it is still rotating, so it still has rotational kinetic energy. Can you calculate that using the equation you used in part a.?Once you have the total kinetic energy at the top of the step, you can use the conservation of energy equation to solve for h1. Remember, the total kinetic energy is the same at the start and at the top of the step, so you can set them equal to each other and solve for h1. In summary, a solid, uniform disk
kenricktan

Homework Statement

A solid, Uniform disk of radius 5.00 cm and mass 1.50 kg is rolling without slipping a long a horizontal surface. The disk makes 2.00 revolution per second

a. Find the total kinetic energy (translational + rotational) of the disk

b. Find the minimum height h of the step (placed in front of the rolling disk) that will prevent the disk from rolling past it. (Hint: assume that the hight h is adjusted so that the disk rolls just up to the top of the step and stops. Conserve Energy)

Homework Equations

W= 2.00 Revolution x 2pi radian
V = wr
I = (1/2)mr^2
KE_rot = (1/2)Iw^2
KE = (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I assumed that K_total = KE_rot + KE
K_total = 4.46 x 10^-3 Joules

b. I have no Idea how to solve this...help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Correction!
a. K_Total = 0.444 J

The height must be such that energy will be conserved between the initial translational and rotational velocity and the final trans/rot velocity. Ktotal(0) + U(0) = Ktotal(1) + U(1)

I'd begin by drawing a picture. What does the final total Kinetic energy have to be?

I tried using 1/2 m Vo^2 + mgh(o) = 1/2 m V1^2 + mgh(1)

and since it says that assuming that it "stops" at the top of the step so I set V1 = 0
and also h(o) = 0

cancels all of the m
so I get h1 = Vo^2 / 2g
Is that right?

kenricktan said:
I tried using 1/2 m Vo^2 + mgh(o) = 1/2 m V1^2 + mgh(1)

OK let's stop right here for a sec. 1/2 * Vo^2 is the translational kinetic energy, but you also need to include the rotational kinetic energy because the object is rotating as well as moving forward.

1. What is the formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a uniform disk?

The formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a uniform disk is KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

2. How do you determine the moment of inertia for a uniform disk?

The moment of inertia for a uniform disk can be determined by the formula I = 1/2 * MR^2, where M is the mass of the disk and R is the radius of the disk.

3. Can the kinetic energy of a uniform disk be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a system cannot be negative. It is always a positive quantity.

4. How does the kinetic energy of a uniform disk change with increasing angular velocity?

The kinetic energy of a uniform disk increases with increasing angular velocity. This is because the formula for kinetic energy has a squared term for angular velocity, meaning that as angular velocity increases, the kinetic energy increases at a faster rate.

5. Is the kinetic energy of a uniform disk affected by its mass and radius?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a uniform disk is affected by both its mass and radius. The greater the mass and/or radius of the disk, the greater the kinetic energy will be, assuming all other factors remain constant.