Solving for the mass using Parametric Equations (Density Forumula)

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus 3 test question involving calculating the mass of a helix using a density function and parametric equations. The correct formula for finding the mass is given as \int \rho(x) d\sigma, with d\sigma being the differential of arc length. This formula is different from the one used for a two-dimensional surface.
EpiGen
Hey,

I have a calculus 3 test coming up that involves calculating the mass of an object using a density function. I know how to use the double integral form for x-y equations, but the practice test my professor gave me has a question using parametric equations and I don't know how to calculate the answer.

Find the mass of a spring in the shape of a helix defined by r(t) = <2cost,t,2sint>, for 0<=t<=5*pi, density function p(x,y,z)=y.

I know the mass is calculated using Int(Int(p(x,y)dx)dy) for a 2 variable system but don't know how to incorporate the t or z variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are mistaken in thinking that "the mass is calculated using Int(Int(p(x,y)dx)dy) for a 2 variable system". That is correct for a two-dimensional situation- a surface. What you have is a one dimensional figure in three dimensions. The mass is given by [itex]\int \rho(x) d\sigma[/itex] where [itex]d\sigma[/itex] is the "differential of arc length. If the figure is given by x= f(t), y= g(t), z= h(t), as you have here, then
[tex]d\sigma= \sqrt{\left(\frac{df}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dg}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dh}{dt}\right)^2}dt[/tex].

1. What is the density formula used for?

The density formula is used to calculate the mass of an object, given its volume and density. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and in everyday life to determine the mass of materials.

2. How do you solve for the mass using parametric equations?

To solve for the mass using parametric equations, you will need to use the density formula, which is mass = density x volume. First, you will need to determine the density of the object in question. Then, you will need to measure or calculate its volume. Finally, plug these values into the formula to solve for the mass.

3. What units should be used for density, volume, and mass?

Density is typically measured in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3). Volume is usually measured in cubic centimeters (cm3) or cubic meters (m3). Mass is commonly measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg). It is important to use consistent units when using the density formula to solve for mass.

4. Can the density formula be used for all types of materials?

Yes, the density formula can be used for all types of materials, including solids, liquids, and gases. However, the units for density may vary depending on the state of the material. For example, the density of a gas is typically measured in grams per liter (g/L), while the density of a liquid is measured in grams per milliliter (g/mL).

5. Are there any limitations to using parametric equations to solve for mass?

The main limitation of using parametric equations to solve for mass is that it assumes the object has a uniform density throughout. In reality, this may not always be the case, especially for irregularly shaped objects. In these cases, more complex equations or experimental methods may be needed to accurately determine the mass.